Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Bounder 35H

Could anyone offer feedback on experiences with their Bounder, specifically the 35H? How do you like the Fleetwood chasis with the Chevy 8.1 Vortec?
vjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I don't have much for you. I had the 35E on a Ford. For what that's worth to you , it was a great MH in all respects.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjohnny View Post
Could anyone offer feedback on experiences with their Bounder, specifically the 35H? How do you like the Fleetwood chasis with the Chevy 8.1 Vortec?
Just curious why the "thumbs down?" Do you have a 35H with problems? Like Cliff, we have a Ford chassis Bounder, so I don't have any input for you. Sorry.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
My error

I'm sorry folks, Ididn't mean to "thumbs down" the post. I'm a newbie to posting too!
Old 01-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm sorry folks, Ididn't mean to "thumbs down" the post. I'm a newbie to posting too!
No problem!! I just wanted to make sure you weren't having a problem that we might be able to help with. Are you considering the purchase of the Bounder?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
RV search

My wife and I have just started our search in earnest for our full time home on wheels . We like the floorplan with a bath and a half and Bounders have that layout. I have been told how important a good chasis is and I haven't heard anything about the Fleetwood/Chevy chasis. Thanks for checking back.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
Community Administrator

It's not the FW chassis. It's a Workhorse chassis. It's a great platform. There was a brake recall that needs to be verified but other than that , you'll love it as I love the ford. What model year are you looking at?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bounders

We're Bounder Believers. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

If you're interested in a DP check out a 2008 38F. Having had a class C on a Ford chassis and now a 34H on a Freightliner chassis I will promise you that the difference in how it drives is worth every Penny.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws
We're Bounder Believers. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

If you're interested in a DP check out a 2008 38F. Having had a class C on a Ford chassis and now a 34H on a Freightliner chassis I will promise you that the difference in how it drives is worth every Penny.
We are rather fond of our '08 38F Bounder DP with 325 Cummins and Freightliner Chassis. Bath and half, plenty of CCC. No scalded dog but hey - no trophies for first top last I looked.

X 2 on bang for buck.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Can't say anything about the 35H because we have the 35E model, on the Workhorse chassis. I'll address the chassis itself:

We bought ours new in 2007 and it now has just over 20K miles on it. In that time we have had the following issues:

1. There is something called a "decel" valve (part of the emissions equipment) that started making noise when the engine was at idle - it was fixed under warranty.

2. There was a recall on the brake system that required new calipers (and sometimes rotors) - that was taken care of by our preferred service shop.

And that is the total of the issues we've had. I change the engine oil and filter once a year, and do a chassis lube at the same time. I changed the transmission filter at 5K miles and haven't touched it since. The air filter needs changing because it's still the original and I think it's time for a new one. According to my records, over the life of the coach (20K miles) we're averaging 7.4 mpg towing a smart car. On level roads running at 58 mph we can get as much as 9.5 mpg (according to the readout on the dash) but it drops when we're climbing hills such as the Grapevine in Southern California.

In summary - I'm perfectly happy with the chassis and would not hesitate buying another one.

Tags
bounder