Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #1

Bounder 35K refrigerator handle questions

When we bought our 2014 Bounder 35K two months ago one of the issues that came up at PDI is that the refrigerator door handles on the Dometic unit would not latch to lock the doors. All four of them would not latch at all. At that time they told us they would order new handles and before sending us on our way the dealer used packaging tape to hold the doors shut so they would not swing open while driving.

We received the new handles and had them put in. As this is our first Dometic refrigerator I'm just not sure if the handles are working correctly. All four doors close and seal as they should however they will only latch into the locking position if you push really hard on the door until you hear a click. And I mean push hard. Is this the normal operation of these handles in the 35K? The way I read page six of the manual it states to lock (latch) the doors simply close the refrigerator door. It doesn't say anything about putting your back into pushing the door to lock it. The other issue is that to open the doors it takes some effort in pulling the handle to the side, a lot of flexing to get it unlatched (I know I'm not explaining that very well). The dealer is telling us this is the normal operation for the Dometic but I wanted to confirm with other owners. I think the next time I'm at the dealer checking up on our motor home I'll walk out to the lot and look at a few other units, just to compare. Thanks for your feedback.
Bruadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Community Administrator

My Norcold required a push to lock.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #3

Thanks Cliff!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Touchy feely with a couple of like units sounds like a great plan.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 4 door Dometic and it latches with little or no effort. not sure if its the same as yours as mine is an earlier model. On mine the doors lock down when I shift out of park. I have to move the latch left to unlock when traveling. When parked it easily closes like a residential frig.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My norcold closes like any other residential fridge I've had.

The reason its so hard to open is the same reason you have to put your back into it. Something is out of adjustment.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The doors on our Dometic "click" lock easily; no pushing required. After buying our Bounder, we found that one of the 4 doors on the fridge had a plain handle with no lock mechanism. I contacted Dometic and they mailed the correct handle directly to us. (Dealer is over an hour and several gallons of gasoline away, so my hubby swapped the handles.) Wonder how many other Dometics are out there with the wrong handles installed.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #8

On our 2012 35K, the refrig doors close and lock easily. However, in the first three months we had our unit, 2 of the handles snapped when opening the fridge. Dometic mailed us 4 handles and I installed two of them. No problems since and I now have 2 spares.
mst0neham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #9

Thank you everyone. It sounds like my doors don't close as easily as most of yours so I'll re-address it with the dealer. If they are unable to resolve the issue I see no harm in contacting Dometic directly. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #10

We also have a 2014 Bounder 35K with a 4 door Dometic frig and all doors open and close easily. I would make sure the dealer makes it right.
rscott1445 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, bounder