Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #1

Bounder 35k short term storage power

I have a 2022 35k with one solar panel. I need to store in a lot with no shore power . If I turn aux and main off will solar still top off my batteries?
Bassdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2022, 01:10 PM   #2

Yes, the solar should be connected directly to the batteries through the solar controller.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two issues.

If you turn off the aux and the main, is the solar panel still connected to either or both chassis and coach batteries?

While parked in good sun, try it. Check both battery banks with a volt meter and record voltages. Then switch off aux and main, check voltage again. If same or higher, panel is charging. If lower, panel is either not connected anymore or parasitic draw is higher than charge current.

Second issue. If the panel can't charge with aux and main off, is it's output greater than the draw with switches left on? Volt meter will tell you. If batteries stay above about 13 volts in daylight and don't draw too low overnight to recover next day, you're good.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:42 PM   #4

thank you, I think the solar panel may be contributing to the system as the controller monitor shows a red light even when the aux and main are off. These systems are so complex and intermingled that my old brain can't keep it all straight.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:16 PM   #5

Are we talking about the small panel on top of the AC unit. ? My panel provides very little in the way of charging power and isn’t able to maintain our coach batteries unless I make sure inverter is turned off and chassis battery is unplugged
Old 07-09-2022, 06:43 PM   #6

If it is the one atop the AC unit that panel is 20 watts. That does next to nothing at full sun at solar noon. No, it will not top off or even close to it. My 35k has a 5 amp parasitic draw. Before I installed my solar system when in storage the batts were dead in a few weeks. It's Fleetwood marketing fooling all to think they have solar that actually does something. It doesn't.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:02 PM   #7

For short term...why do you think your batteries are going to go dead? If everything is off, chassis and house batts disconnected...should be good for 3-6 months. However, if your smoke and CO alarms don't shut off when batts disconnected they will drain your house batts in a week or 2.

If you leave anything on...like even just the propane shutoff switch... your house batts will be dead but the chassis batt SHOULD disconnect itself around 12.6v to save itself for starting.

-E
Old 07-09-2022, 07:31 PM   #8

Bounder 35k short term storage power

My 35K has parasitic draw as well likely from the radio and a few other items that remain powered even with the disconnect buttons depressed. Unless I disconnect my chassis battery when stored, I will return to dead batteries after 2 weeks. Seems to be a common problem to these Bounders. Ours is a 2016 and the Chassis battery does not preserve itself at 12 volts
Old 07-09-2022, 08:26 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
If it is the one atop the AC unit that panel is 20 watts. That does next to nothing at full sun at solar noon. No, it will not top off or even close to it....
Yep. That silly little panel was on my 06. It's worthless & the little red light on it just adds to the parasitic draw.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:28 PM   #10

Bounder's come now with 100 watts on the roof (optional upgrade to 260 or something)

I can tell you the batteries will run dead with the inverter On (found that one out myself...doh).

Here is what I would recommend: 1) Disconnect batteries with switch by door, 2) Turn inverter off (switch in compartment next to entry door)

Then check out the battery voltage with a voltmeter after a couple days to see if they have dropped. Since the batteries are under the stairs this isn't the easiest maneuver. But what I did was wire up a trickle charger quick disconnect so I can easily roll under by the stairs and put a voltmeter on the quick disconnect to check the batteries.

Personally I think you would be fine with doing the battery disconnect and inverter, but I guess it depends on how short 'short' really is. Are we talking about a month or 6?
Old 07-20-2022, 11:38 AM   #11

We have a 2021 Bounder 33C with the upgraded solar panel. Disconnecting the chassis and coach batteries using the switches next to the entry the solar will still charge the batteries. However, since we have a covered storage spot, we get very little. We have about a 0.21Ah drain mostly because of the Victron Smart Shunt and Victron dongle.
VentanaOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, power, storage