Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #1

Bounder or Expedition 34 ft.

I am looking for some info on either a Bounder or Expedition 34 ft. DP. Thinking of buying. Is there an owner on this forum that can help me? Thanks

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
My son and daughter own a 34'DP Bounder. What is your question?
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply> I am wondeing if they are happy with the way it handles. Sometimes short WB DP's are impossible to control. I also wonder if FW still uses those SE-GI windows in 06, Has the laminate used on the cabinets improved? Are they generally happy with the unit?

Thanks
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Only thing I know about the windows is that they are double pane. No idea of the origin. No issue with cabinets thus far, knock on wood( or maybe I should say presswood ). they had a safety steer installed and that made a significant difference in drive ability. Overall, they are thrilled, but have only owned it for a year. The engine has not been broken in yet as they purchased it with less than 11k on it. Time, I guess, will tell.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #5

In general the Expedition (sometimes referred to as a Discovery twin) is a an upgrade over the Bounder up until 2010 I think. I don't think the Expeditions had presswood anywhere. Certainly our Expedition is all wood, but some is wrapped like most coaches these days. The chassis, engine, transmission, etc are usually the same. You didn't mention the year which could change the external and internal appearance or options.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pressed wood

In some cases pressed wood is far superior to natural wood. Depends on how it's made.

I haven't found any particle board in my Bounder. I've been into and under everything except the carpet, so maybe the flooring is?

Bounders are amazingly well put together. That's probably one of the reasons you see so many old ones still on the road. It's a safe assumption that the Expedition is just as well constructed.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #7

The Bounder is good value for the $$. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is well constructed. There is no particle board but the cabinets are plywood with a very thin laminate. Not plastic. Almost paper! The drawer supports are flimsy. The interior dividing walls flex. But they have awesome floor plans. Lots of extras included. More storage than most DP's. Once they solved the delam problems about 2001 the exterior construction is super. We enjoyed our 2002 and hope to do the same with a 2006. In 2001 and maybe up to 2003 the Bounder and Expedition were slightly different. By 2004 they are twins other than colors and fabrics. The front and rear caps are different. Same chassis and floor plans. 2006 had some big changes. 31,000 GVW instead of 28,000. About 6 inches taller. Nicer dash. I just wish they still had the ISB. In 2005 they went to the Cat C7 and in 2008 went back to the ISB. Iam looking at a few 2006's and have one that I really like. I just hope the C7 wont give me problems. I drove a 2005 and have to admit that the Cat has lots of power but still wonder about reliablity: plugged rads due to slobber tube design, fuel system problems that can cost $5000 to cure, bad fan bearings that can let go and some minor issues. Perhaps those problems are not as wide spread as I think!
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 02-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had the cat in our 03 Excursion. None of the issues you mentioned we're ever trouble. I did pay particular attention keeping the fan and radiator cleaned yearly with simple green that was designed to clean aluminum aircraft.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slobber Tube

Sounds like something you'd find in a hospital.

I've never had to clean my radiator, it looks the same from both sides.

I Think the design was changed in 04 or 05 and it's a simple fix on older engines.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
The issue with the slobber tube was due to the problem of putting to much oil in the engine. Some of the Cat-C-7 engines had 2 different oil pans put on them. One of them holds 19 quarts and the other holds 22 quarts. People would put 22 quarts of oil in the 19 quart pan and it would blow out the extra 3 quarts of oil. This is what caused the radiator problems.

Jerry
Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well I am happy with my Bounder 38N. I just replaced the microwave and so I have been into the cabinets and the sub structure. I think we have people talking Gas and some talking diesel. I have found most Gas coaches tend to be less sturdily built because they tend to need to be lighter. Yes when you get into the $350,000 + range you may find some what better components. The only thing I saw “better” in the high-end coaches was a 3ed TV and a fake fireplace. I can live with out them and get by on only 2 flat screen TVs and save my self $275,000.
Just a comment on the “slobber tube” problem. It isn’t only found on Cat powered coaches. All diesels have oil vapor coming out the “slobber tube” I have read where the newer engines have a recycling feature that the older engines didn’t have because of the emissions requirements. The other thing I have noted the side radiator units have less of a problem keeping the radiator clean.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #12

Bill,

You're right about the rear CACs getting oil and dirt build up from any of the older diesel engines. We solved our problem by redirecting the breather (slobber tube) exhaust through a pipe that exists behind the rear rock guard. We also clean the CAC once a year to be on the safe side. We notice dirt and some minor build up on the CAC probably caused by "stuff" being picked up by the cooling fan from the road service.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder