Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #1

Bounder/Southwind battery rack recall

Looks like they issued a recall for the battery rack due to bad welds that I had nearly fall off my Southwind here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/firs...ed-281001.html

It appears to cover Bounder 2013-2015 and Southwind 2013-2015 and here's the NHTSA recall: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V584

I think it's a little funny that they claim the battery tray coming lose can just cause battery acid leak or electrical short. I'd think if the whole tray dropped out while you were driving it would do serious serious damage to the rv as you ran over the 400 lbs chunk of metal and battery.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #2

Per the recall it is:
"REV Recreation Group (REV) is recalling certain 2013-2015 Fleetwood Bounder and 2013-2016 Fleetwood Southwind recreational vehicles. The welds attaching the battery tray may be insufficient. As a result, the tray may separate from underneath the chassis."
Old 10-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not that I don't take this seriously, but the batteries in my Bounder will land on the stairs, plus all the cabling would probably hang up.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't just drop to the pavement...at least that's what I want to believe since I'm hitting the road first thing Thursday.

I'll inspect the welds, cross my fingers and bring a couple of extra come-alongs with me.

rm
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:54 AM   #4

On my 2004 I just noticed that the under step battery tray has some serious significant cracks along with some battery juice induced corrosion. I going to have to pull them out, weld up the cracks and add some metal bracing. From what I can see, it looks like a moulded sheet metal tub with very little bracket/brace support...not how I would have built it to start with.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #5

Since the old images have expired from my original post I'll repost them here. I had them stick a couple of bolts through on all 3 sides when they rewelded it just to further secure it. Pretty sure that if the 2 opposing welds broke the whole shelf would have dropped though the batteries _may_ have hung on, though not without doing a bunch of damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	179602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0422.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	179603  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	179604  
Old 10-14-2017, 03:55 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably easier to brace and weld up yourself rather than running to the factory. I had the battery tray crack off on my gulfstream super c while going down the road. the cables held everything up but I could see it swinging in the breeze in my drivers side mirror and occassionally bouncing off the rear tire.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflyboy View Post
Since the old images have expired from my original post I'll repost them here. I had them stick a couple of bolts through on all 3 sides when they rewelded it just to further secure it. Pretty sure that if the 2 opposing welds broke the whole shelf would have dropped though the batteries _may_ have hung on, though not without doing a bunch of damage.
Noflyboy, ha that’s just what happened to mine, 1000 miles from home. Made some repairs with a few straps and headed to my friends cattle ranch in Texas. Headed home to Georgia after a few days of kicking back. Bounder is at Camping World in Woodstock Georgia. Looking forward to our next adventure....safe travels...
bulldog620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, bounder, recall, southwind