Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #1

Brake Controller

I have a 1999 American Tradition and will be pulling a 24' enclosed trailer.
Any tips/helpful hints on installing a brake controller? Are wires pre-run from
dash to the trailer plug? Any help is appreciated. TIA
vetteandharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Lights should have wires in the back, brake controller probably not.

In my opinion the controller you want is air over electric.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...SABEgLEk_D_BwE

This is not an easy install as you have to plumb an air line from the brake system to work. When the control senses air pressure from the brake system on the bus it supplies electric to the electric brakes on the trailer.

Although the wires are there for the lights, you will need a Trailer Light Module
to have combined turn and brake lights on the trailer. The motor Home has one set of lights for turn signals and another set of lights for brakes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I just installed a Tekonsha P3 brake control in our coach last week. It did not have a trailer brake prewire. I had to find a source for the brake light input (used the air pressure switch) , a 20amp 12v source, a ground, and the big one was routing a wire from the drivers area to the trailer light connector near the trailer hitch.
My grandson and I spent a lot of time routing the trailer brake wire. On our coach, the wiring is routed up between the frame rails. We used a Garner Bender electricians fish tape tool to pull the wires through.
I used low resistance 12 gauge aircraft wire from Wicks aircraft. I ordered 60' and used just over 50'.

Related issue: We also installed a new Hopkins 48470 trailer light connector. Glenn is correct about the trailer brake lights. My coach has separate brake lights from the turn signals. I need to go back and install a 3 to 2 wire converter for the trailer brake lights to work properly.

Look at post 19
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/trai...-366077-2.html

Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
I use the Tekonsha P2. Works great. I believe the air operated will work better, but if you don't want to fool with your air lines? The P2 or P3 is your best option. Good luck.

Gator, 2008, Revolution
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorv View Post
I use the Tekonsha P2. Works great. I believe the air operated will work better, but if you don't want to fool with your air lines? The P2 or P3 is your best option. Good luck.

Gator, 2008, Revolution

I was told my 07 is prewired, was your 08 if so where in the heck is the plug?
Old 01-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorv View Post

Gator, 2008, Revolution

I was told my 07 is prewired, was your 08 if so where in the heck is the plug?
Old 01-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
First order of business is to call American Coach Tech line- have your Serial number handy to see if its pre-wired.
I know my much older 92 was pre-wired and the install was easy. I use a Tekonsha Voyager and it works great.
Does Your have the Hitch installed ?
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies so far. Yes my coach has the hitch installed, believe its's 500# tongue weight 10,000# total weight limit. I will give American Coach a call and see about the pre-wire.
Am currently wintering in AZ and most of my tools are in Nebraska, if not pre-wired might have to find someone else to wire it. Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #9

Thumbs up

Emailed American Coach and had a response back within 15 minutes. While I won't be able to do anything for while I thought I would post the schematics for others to see. I will update this post and let you know what I find. Again thanks for the feedback.

Spartan Trailer Hitch Spare Wires - 1997 to 2011 (3).pdf

Hope this attaches as planned and helps someone else.

Tags
brake