Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Brake Lights don't work!

Somehow, my brake lights quit working. I checked the fuse panel, under the dash, and replaced the fuse. However, the fuse has no power, as my test light doesn't light when I test the fuse. Anyone know, if there is another fuse somewhere?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
On a Spartan chassis, the chassis power is routed through the electrical compartment under the driver's seat. I'd look there for the brake circuit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, I will definitely look under the seat. I did find fuses for the chassis lights, under the dash, and replaced 3 fuses. I wonder if there are two places for the same fuses? Yesterday, I checked everything, over and over, at the fusebox, under the dash and all of a sudden, the brake lights came on. I have no idea, what I did, to make that happen, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks for your input!
Old 02-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #4

If your coach is like mine, the brake lights are on a resetting circuit breaker. Could be the circuit breaker is getting weak, or there is a short under the dash causing the breaker to trip. On my coach the resetting circuit looks like this one.
Attached Images

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
Thanks, I will definitely look under the seat. I did find fuses for the chassis lights, under the dash, and replaced 3 fuses. I wonder if there are two places for the same fuses? Yesterday, I checked everything, over and over, at the fusebox, under the dash and all of a sudden, the brake lights came on. I have no idea, what I did, to make that happen, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks for your input!
By "under the seat" I meant outside, in the forward most compartment in front of the left front wheel. If you contact Spartan with your VIN they can send you an electrical diagram of your chassis.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
BFlinn is correct, the brake light switches are located under the driver's side coach, directly under where the brake pedal is. The switch threads into the foot brake valve. Easy to access and check.....At least on my 1999 Spartan chassis
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:43 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank You Bigd9!!!!!! When you showed me a picture of the fuse, I remembered seeing something like that on the fuse panel, adjacent to the brake light fuses. I had seen it before, but since it was a 20 AMP fuse (and the others are 10 & 15 AMPS), I didn't think it had anything to do with the brake lights. So, I continued working on my wireless toad light hook-up. In the process, I managed to pop the brake light fuse again

I replaced the 15 AMP fuse, but still, no lights. So, I thought, this will be a good time to test the "Big" fuse. Well, nothing happened for awhile, so I just gave up on my wireless hook-up. With dinner, and other things going on, I didn't check back, until sometime later that evening. When I thought about it again, it was dark, so I went to the RV and stepped on the brake pedal. To my surprise and delight, I could see the brake lights shining, in m rearview mirror!!!!

I never Knew, such a fuse existed on any vehicle! The mystery (of what I did earlier to fix my brake lights) was solved! Thank you!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Thank You Bigd9!!!!!! When you showed me a picture of the fuse, I remembered seeing something like that on the fuse panel, adjacent to the brake light fuses. I had seen it before, but since it was a 20 AMP fuse (and the others are 10 & 15 AMPS), I didn't think it had anything to do with the brake lights. So, I continued working on my wireless toad light hook-up. In the process, I managed to pop the brake light fuse again

I replaced the 15 AMP fuse, but still, no lights. So, I thought, this will be a good time to test the "Big" fuse. Well, nothing happened for awhile, so I just gave up on my wireless hook-up. With dinner, and other things going on, I didn't check back, until sometime later that evening. When I thought about it again, it was dark, so I went to the RV and stepped on the brake pedal. To my surprise and delight, I could see the brake lights shining, in m rearview mirror!!!!

I never Knew, such a fuse existed on any vehicle! The mystery (of what I did earlier to fix my brake lights) was solved! Thank you!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:05 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
BFlinn181, I checked the compartment, forward of the driver's position, but no fuse panel. Macwrench, I have always known about the fuse panel under the dash. Mine is not located where you stated, but is to the right of the pedal and exactly centered, under the dash (so close to the floor, that you have to lay your head on the floor, to see all the fuses. And.....it doesn't help, that they are all placed horizontal to the floor! Read sideways! I guess there is no real good place for the fuse panels. Actually, I'm glad they are not under the driver's seat!

My inquiry about the location of the fuse panel was because some of the wires in connection with my toad light hook-up were (and still are) DEAD, no matter that the fuse for that wire is good. So I thought that maybe there was a fuse box in the rear, for trailers, etc? Thanks for your inputs!
Old 02-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #10

I was only pointing out brake light switches....
On my Eagle there's a fuse box in the battery compartment. I can't remember if a brake light fuse is there, but there's other chassis related fuses so it might be as well.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok, I was thinking fuse panel, because I can't imagine where the mfg. would have put another brake light fuse. I don't think there is a brake light fuse in the electrical compartment, I just spent several days in that area, replacing my inverter, that caused me some troubles. But I will look again, because my slide fuses and several other main & aux. battery fuses are there. Thanks
Old 02-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
BFlinn181, I checked the compartment, forward of the driver's position, but no fuse panel. Macwrench, I have always known about the fuse panel under the dash. Mine is not located where you stated, but is to the right of the pedal and exactly centered, under the dash (so close to the floor, that you have to lay your head on the floor, to see all the fuses. And.....it doesn't help, that they are all placed horizontal to the floor! Read sideways! I guess there is no real good place for the fuse panels. Actually, I'm glad they are not under the driver's seat!

My inquiry about the location of the fuse panel was because some of the wires in connection with my toad light hook-up were (and still are) DEAD, no matter that the fuse for that wire is good. So I thought that maybe there was a fuse box in the rear, for trailers, etc? Thanks for your inputs!
The 'fuse' pictured by Bigd9 is an auto resetting circuit breaker, as he identified. Good for circuits that might occasionally be pushed to their limit since after cooling down they reconnect.

Since your fuse panel is hard to see and access, You might replace the fuses (all at once or as needed) with Indicator fuses that glow when bad. They make things simple when you suspect a bad fuse, a visual check shows if it's blown. Available at most auto parts stores, even Walmart.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
BFlinn181:
"Since your fuse panel is hard to see and access, You might replace the fuses (all at once or as needed) with Indicator fuses that glow when bad. They make things simple when you suspect a bad fuse, a visual check shows if it's blown. Available at most auto parts stores, even Walmart."

Yes, I have one or two of those that light up, thank you.... Gripper
Old 02-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #14

This fuse box is located in my battery compartment, contains stop light fuse and a relay.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170211_121719388.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	151568

Tags
brake, brake lights, light, lights