Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #1

Brand new RV overheating?

Hi there.
This is our first RV. We have owned travel trailers before and decided to go bigger. To be honest I'm not sure yet if we made the right choice and if what we're dealing with is normal of if we have bought an issue on wheels.

We have a 2020 Fleetwood fortis 34mb. So far we have found that our washer doesn't work, we had a water leak that turned out to be a pipe fitting with no plumber tape, an outlet that don't work and the best one of them all is we have overheated while here in Colorado. It's Sunday so there is no ford dealership open.

With the overheating, we drove on the mountain passes yesterday and it made it through. I was surprised to see us drive 5 minutes down the road today for it to overheat. Is this normal?? My husband is on his way to Walmart to pick up coolant In hopes it will fix the issue.

Looking for a sanity check here.

Thanks
JT
Jjc7322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #2

My advice, return to the dealer pronto.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Problems with the 'house' are, sadly, normal. But the same is true of many new stick built homes, they just don't always get everything right the first time.
The overheating problem isn't one I've seen here before, and problems with the chassis tend to be less of an issue from what I see here. Hopefully it's just low on antifreeze and topping it off will correct the problem.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:02 PM   #4

That is definitely my first trip when we get back. We are so frustrated at this point and angry.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #5

Things happen.....once had a new Chevy that had an engine knock right from the factory.....turned out, the number 1 main bearing oil hole from the camshaft wasn't drilled.......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Even buying used you can have problems. Our first trip out with a 2009 Country Coach on Feb 2015 the gen wouldn't start from any of the interior switches.
The major glitch came 40 miles from home after 2,700 miles. The engine blew up, cost was 2 months in the shop in the middle of the summer and $33,000, $16,000 was out of pocket. Since then I've spent another $31,000 on engine repairs alone.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Even buying used you can have problems. Our first trip out with a 2009 Country Coach on Feb 2015 the gen wouldn't start from any of the interior switches.
The major glitch came 40 miles from home after 2,700 miles. The engine blew up, cost was 2 months in the shop in the middle of the summer and $33,000, $16,000 was out of pocket. Since then I've spent another $31,000 on engine repairs alone.
Wow! You guys tolerate repair bills better than I would... what was wrong with the motor to rack up those bills!?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:04 PM   #8

We found the issue...it is a coolant leak somewhere near the engine compartment. We tried to take if farther once we filled the reservoir and coolant came out of the bottom immediately after. Looks like we are heading to the ford dealership tomorrow morning. So much for buying new - this vacation has been the pits.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjc7322 View Post
We found the issue...it is a coolant leak somewhere near the engine compartment. We tried to take if farther once we filled the reservoir and coolant came out of the bottom immediately after. Looks like we are heading to the ford dealership tomorrow morning. So much for buying new - this vacation has been the pits.
At least if it comes out quickly it will be easy for you or the Ford tech to spot the problem. Hopefully itís something as simple as a loose hose clamp. Whatever it is it should be covered under the warranty. Try not to let it make you angry. Thereís pretty much always something wrong with a new RV. It sometimes takes a few trips to get the bugs out but youíll get there. Good luck.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #10

I googled it and found on Ford-Trucks another similar incident. Turned out that the lower radiator hose slipped off. I hope you'ii luck out with it. I have been reading post's here and there about those spring clamps they use break sometimes.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #11

No Guarantee

Buying new with an RV in no guarantee of trouble-free trips. Most forlks that have purchased new will have horror stories about the kinks they had to work out the first few trips. We had a superslide fail to come in. Turns out there was packaging material that was interfering with the slide motion.

We bought a Daybreak new and used to "joke" that they named it that because something would break every day.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:46 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Where was your water leak that didn't have the plumber's tape?
TAF45377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjc7322 View Post

Itís a crap shoot on buying new my first one was in the shop 3 months of the first year. My second one hasnít been in the shop yet knock on wood. Buying used is no better you could be buying someone elseís troubles and no warranty. Doesnít matter how much they cost they could have problems.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:36 PM   #14

It was at the city water connector by the electrical panel. Water was coming into the connector but the interior pipe to the house had to tape.

Tags
heat, heating, overheating