Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
buying new to me 04 Discovery Please Help

I am purchasing a new to me 2004 discovery 39l. I just sold my 94 Bounder 37x that I had for 2 years. I rebuilt the bounder from the ground up as I am in the auto repair buissness. That being said i rarely work on trucks or deisels . Any info on what I should look for while purchasing such unit would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck
ChuckNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #2

I have an 02' Discovery and love it. Does your Discovery have the 330 cat? if so it will be the C7 a very good engine to be sure!!! Check for leaks by rolling under with a creeper and check the air dryer just behind the left rear wheel for oil leaks. If the dryer has lots of oil the air compressor may be blowing lots of oil past the rings. Tires are usually good for 5 to 7 years reguardless of tread. Check the date codes. The steering bellcrank and steering box may have play that you can feel in a road test. Ask the seller to lift the floor in closet so you can see the belts, hoses and fan stuff and grab the fan and shake forwards and aft looking for play in the fan bearing, should be none. The water seperator fuel filter is right behind the radiator and you can see if its been changed lately by the dirt level on the filter. The refer may be in a slide so check the cooling unit well. If the tubing looks very rusty around and going into flame box then the cooling unit has been overheated and may not last long.
The trans is similar to a gm trans just larger and with cartrige style filters. Yours should be serviced with Transynd and I suggest nothing but. will take about 5 gall to service with filters.
Biggist thing, check for good maint. records especially with a cat and adjusting valves at 15k miles
Hope this helps some!!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
After all that Stink said, I would still have a pre-purchase inspection done by a qualified inspector to go through the whole coach top to bottom... inside and out. If the right guy does the inspection, it will be well worth the cost. I recently purchased a 2003 Discovery myself, which cost me about $200 to have inspected. Based on the inspecotr's findings, his fee was paid back several times with the repairs from his findings.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #4

if the unit was in salt air,it will rust everthing.you can easily tell by looking at the metal.
salt will eat everthing,wiring ,metal etc.
be careful
talking from experience
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote