Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
buzzing/humming sound in transfer switch

We just came back from our first camping trip with new bounder 35k and all went fairly well. When I plugged into shore power at the house the transfer switch/ surge protector started making a humming sound. Unplugged and plugged in several times. Sometimes louder hum sometimes softer hum but always a hum. Had it plugged in at the house before and it never hummed. Does any have any idea what this could be?
lvnrdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

Relay inside switch.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The are two, really big contactors (relays) in the transfer switch. They sometimes hum since they are held with AC coils. As you have seen, sometimes a big hum, sometimes a little hum. If you take the cover off you can see the relays. Depending on the brand, you can gently tap on either of them and see which one it is. (careful, use something insulated!)

More than likely innocuous, but irritating nonetheless.

Luck of the draw.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #4

With all AC power off remove transfer switch cover
Go thru and tighten ALL wire connections

Relays will hum over time due to contacts pitting/arcing
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
With all AC power off remove transfer switch cover
Go thru and tighten ALL wire connections

Relays will hum over time due to contacts pitting/arcing

We did the same when I noticed humming got louder. Had several loose connections. After tightening humming was considerably quieter.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #6

I had a very loud humming, buzzing relay in a new Progressive Industries EMS. They quickly sent a new relay. Swapped it out and new one is almost silent.
WillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think your Bounder has one of the TRC Surge Guard auto transfer switches. They are notorious for hum under certain conditions but there seems to be a variety of them that interact to hum [or not], e.g. weather, amp load, line voltage & frequency, etc.sometimes you can disconnect power (unplug shore cord) and plug again and the hum goes away. Other times it may not go away until you change campsites or the weather changes. It may be annoying, but it's rarely a functional problem.

As the others said, if the problem occurs everywhere you plug in, you may have a loose wire or a poor quality relay. In that case, a fix is possible.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #8

We have a TRC Surge Guard Transfer Switch (40250-RVC) on our 2014 Southwind and get the same humming sound.
I've performed all the suggested fixes of tightening screws, tapping the relays etc. and no change.
One person even suggested sanding the fins on the relay with emery paper.
I called the manufacturer and they basically admitted having a problem, and then said they had discontinued that model.
Interestingly, at one time Fleetwood installed these under the bed, then moved it to under the bedroom draws (where mine is located) and later to an outside bay.
It is annoying, but we have learned to tune out the noise.
I feel the manufacturer should have replaced our unit and Fleetwood should have positioned it somewhere that wouldn't be noticeable from within the coach.
I had booked Fleetwood's Techs to re-position it during the 2018 Rally in Florida.
After having the request for 4 months and a follow up conversation, the day they came to do the job, the Tech said it would be a full day's work and refused to do it!
So, it's either gamble on a new, quieter model or learn to tune out the sound.
At $900 plus installation, I'm not in a hurry to gamble.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch