Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 08:55 PM   #1

Can’t locate the correct “multi-functional switch” for sale for a 1996 Bounder.

MH has with a Chevrolet P30 chassis & 7.4 liter engine. Vehicle does not have an air bag on steering wheel.

I am hoping if someone had their “multi-functional switch” replaced, and know the part number and/or where they purchased the part, that person can give me that information on this site.

The “multi-functional switch” includes cruise control, directional light signal control, windshield wiper control, window spray control, hazard lights control & control of high beam lights. The high beam function is controlled by pulling
the handle forward and releasing it.

THE PROBLEM: The parts supply houses keep providing the same two “multi-functional switch” controls:
1) has a crooked “Z” like handle and 2) the most common one, has a square red plastic translucent knob with two white triangles on top. This red knob fits up on top behind the steering wheel when the control handle is properly positioned on the left side. The red plastic knob is a dead giveaway you have the wrong part. I almost bought a control when I didn’t see the red knob, then I realized the picture was not in color.
THE CORRECT SWITCH I have has a round black plastic control knob labeled in white letters “HAZARD” that fits on the “RIGHT” side of the steering wheel.

Some of the part numbers or codes of the wrong parts include: 23330813, 23330814, 26100985, 26036312, D826A, 26047330, 26083627, 26091769, 26097019, 26100985, S4778, SM826A, V51800002, TSS13, APDTY-3441928, APDTY-3441937. APDTY-2330814, Standard Motor Product DS698T & CBS-1703. Also, AutoZone Duralast Part SW952 (Alt Part #64-0007) & O’Reilly DS698 (1st 2 are letters).

History:
My problem is my high beam control appears unable to provide current to the high beam lights. Also, in operating the high beam control, it turns off the low beam lights in one position. Thus, I could have no lights at all. I have 4 glass headlights, two on each side, the outer two are low beam and the inner two are high beam.

I replaced my 7-pin headlight control which I discussed under a different topic on this site. I replaced it for two reasons, 1) the switch was extremely difficult to push in and out and 2) I thought the switch was defective and
prevented my high beam lights from working. I replaced the control and my high beam lights still didn’t work. LETMGROW provided information that I didn’t have a relay or fuse problem.

Looking at the “multi-functional control”, it is obvious I can’t replace just one part of the control that relates to the high beam lights. This brings us back to the problem I mentioned in the beginning, I can’t locate the correct “multi-functional switch” for sale anywhere.
rustylog. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 05:34 PM   #2

Try RV Salvage Yards: https://rtrvg.com/blog/2017/07/22/us...ards-by-state/
Old 07-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've run into this problem finding parts for my 96 until I found out that the MH year model is a year newer than the chassis. Try looking for 95 parts for your Bounder. The 96 chassis came with air bags.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustylog. View Post
MH has with a Chevrolet P30 chassis & 7.4 liter engine. Vehicle does not have an air bag on steering wheel.

I am hoping if someone had their “multi-functional switch” replaced, and know the part number and/or where they purchased the part, that person can give me that information on this site.

The “multi-functional switch” includes cruise control, directional light signal control, windshield wiper control, window spray control, hazard lights control & control of high beam lights. The high beam function is controlled by pulling
the handle forward and releasing it.

THE PROBLEM: The parts supply houses keep providing the same two “multi-functional switch” controls:
1) has a crooked “Z” like handle and 2) the most common one, has a square red plastic translucent knob with two white triangles on top. This red knob fits up on top behind the steering wheel when the control handle is properly positioned on the left side. The red plastic knob is a dead giveaway you have the wrong part. I almost bought a control when I didn’t see the red knob, then I realized the picture was not in color.
THE CORRECT SWITCH I have has a round black plastic control knob labeled in white letters “HAZARD” that fits on the “RIGHT” side of the steering wheel.

Some of the part numbers or codes of the wrong parts include: 23330813, 23330814, 26100985, 26036312, D826A, 26047330, 26083627, 26091769, 26097019, 26100985, S4778, SM826A, V51800002, TSS13, APDTY-3441928, APDTY-3441937. APDTY-2330814, Standard Motor Product DS698T & CBS-1703. Also, AutoZone Duralast Part SW952 (Alt Part #64-0007) & O’Reilly DS698 (1st 2 are letters).

History:
My problem is my high beam control appears unable to provide current to the high beam lights. Also, in operating the high beam control, it turns off the low beam lights in one position. Thus, I could have no lights at all. I have 4 glass headlights, two on each side, the outer two are low beam and the inner two are high beam.

I replaced my 7-pin headlight control which I discussed under a different topic on this site. I replaced it for two reasons, 1) the switch was extremely difficult to push in and out and 2) I thought the switch was defective and
prevented my high beam lights from working. I replaced the control and my high beam lights still didn’t work. LETMGROW provided information that I didn’t have a relay or fuse problem.

Looking at the “multi-functional control”, it is obvious I can’t replace just one part of the control that relates to the high beam lights. This brings us back to the problem I mentioned in the beginning, I can’t locate the correct “multi-functional switch” for sale anywhere.
From what I see, it looks like everyone is trying to get you the switch assembly for a 1995-1998 C/K Chevy Pickup truck.

The P30/P32 stripped chassis, used the older style steering column. The switches inside these columns are more similar to Standard Motor Products TW20.

You may need to remove the steering wheel and access the turn signal switch, and match it up with online parts photos before ordering.

The multi switch/handle that attaches to the turn signal assembly, may be a bit of a problem. The GM 19244660 is the only one I find, and it does not perform all of the functions. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-19244...a-570576826033
Hopefully you only need the TW20 (or style you determine to need).

For clarification, I have included three pictures of our 1996 P30 steering column. I am going to assume your column looks like this.

A good video showing the disassembly of the older GM columns is here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smp-tw20_w.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	337333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sw3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	337337  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sw2.jpg