Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have any glass coffee cups, drink glasses, plates, bowls, mirrors or such in your Dodge?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #16

We have some glass fixtures, sconces and one above the dining table. Even a small glass table lamp held in place by museum putty. Crystal snifters for our wine, glass coverings over our art work, several mirrors scattered about the MH, pottery dog bowl and coffee cups, two clocks with glass fronts and there's probably more.
If you hit something so hard as to rip the glass from its mount, the fact that it is glass is the least of your worries.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We have a glass globe over the dining table, its real heavy, glass door inserts on the wine cabinet. The mirrored wall at the end, glass shower doors, but tempered I'm sure.

Just so you know PatStab is a 67 year old lady, not a guy. Ha! Ha!
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Do you have any glass coffee cups, drink glasses, plates, bowls, mirrors or such in your Dodge?
Now that you mention it, there is a mirror in the bathroom attached to the wall. But it's secured in place and never gets removed, so there is no risk of it being dropped like a globe or dishes would.

I am going to get rid of the one fragile plate I have, I just keep forgetting to.. shame on me! It's a Corningwear plate. They make a godawful mess when they break, but at least it's white, I'd be able to see the shards in my dark carpet. But it's going to go very soon before it gets broken.

Aside from that, I use no glass dishes, mugs or cups. I use a plastic insulated 34oz travel mug for drinking out of for both hot and cold drinks. My bowls are cheap plastic and the other plate I have is heavy duty plate like what a restaurant, school or prison would use.

The only glass that gets brought in are food jars but you can't avoid that most of the time unless you don't buy any food that comes in glass jars which is nearly impossible. And that's only when stopped over for a long time since I don't run the fridge off the grid. I stick to canned and fresh foods when off the grid so no glass containers when on the move.

Besides, light fixture globes are what we were talking about. They are very thin glass (almost eggshell thin!) and very prone to cracking and breaking when dropped, even on padded carpeted floors where a drinking glass or jar of pickles would not. They might crack but they won't shatter like a light fixture globe would.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The light globe in question here are far from eggshell thin I changed the same light fixtures out last year with some new left over lights from Fleetwood American Coach. I'm in the process now of replacing the plastic "glasses" hint don't clean the plastic with souring pads it makes a mess
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #20

Ohhhhhhh. I don't even care about the break-ability of it. I AM going to have a ceramic coffee cup. Coffee from plastic or Styrofoam cups sux and is classless. Well, I may be classless but not with my coffee.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Glass is class...

Try this site, we stopped there last summer and bought some really nice glass light fixtures in satin nickel finish to upgrade our old bus from brass. They have a lot of discontinued inventory from RV manufactures, not a junk yard, very reasonable prices.

Mobile Home Supplies - Bontragers Surplus Inc. | Bontragers Surplus Inc.
Thank you - Thank you - Thank you. Like a candy store for old RV guys.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
If you ever get up that way( near Elkhart In. in heart of RV world ) it is truly an RV parts candy store. I jokingly asked them to lock me in for the night, I would have all my "stuff" on the counter in the morning.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I was replacing burned out and weak light bulbs thru-out our 2005 Southwind 32VS. There are approx. 18 light fixtures including topside and basement. Only TWO light covers are glass. So take a wild guess at which cover I dropped right on the dining table. Go ahead. Guess. O.K It was the light cover over the dining room table. Dropped straight from the fixture to the table top and broke into 5 big pieces and a gazillion glass slivers.

So. Anyone have a suggestion where I might find a replacement cover? Should I bite the bullet and buy another light fixture?

Might try here too
R.B. Gustafson Corp.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hope you can find your replacement, Steve. If not, I'd say look for a replacement fixture at Lowes or HD. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Folks--Some off-topic remarks have been removed from this thread; please refrain from argumentative and off-topic replies. Thanks.