Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

caulking the roof....not

Had a strectch of kinda warm weather, so I decided I would throw some caulk around some roof leaks, with the intention of stripping the whole thing next spring and doing it right.

I used a Dap caulk. All old caulk was removed from the driver's side roof edge flashing as well as around the kitchen ceiling fanand the surfaces wire brushed. Temp was about 65 degrees, maybe 50 that night, no rain for three days afterwards. I breathed a sigh of relief to have that done.

Following a moderate rain, I entered the coach to find it leaked twice as bad as before I 'repaired' it. Up on the roof, I found the caulk had bubbled up and could be brushed right off both the aluminum roof and the plastic fan housing.

I have read about some really good stuff that self levels on the forum, but I don't know how well it will work now, with temps in the fifties at best. Will it stick to the bare aluminum roof?

Lowes has a product that comes in small and not so small containers that goes on as more or less a liquid and dries to a rubber coating. Anyone used anything like that? It is suppose to work even at cooler temperatures and can go over metal roofs.

We also found some small holes, apparently caused by corrosion on the aluminum roof. How have people dealt with these.

Thanks in advance.
searchinferu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Look for Dicor on the internet. I am not sure about aluminum but they have some pretty good stuff. Don't be afraid to call their help line, they are very knowledgeable.

here is a link https://dicorproducts.com/
Old 11-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I use a product that is similar to DiCor which is a Sikaflex product. It can be applied at fairly low temperatures.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Dicor

I used Dicor in about 40 - 50 degree humid weather and it sealed. No problem, I did some other areas in warmer weather and it went on and flowed easier was the only difference I noticed. Great product.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Warm the tube up before taking it on the roof and try to keep the tube warm.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:27 AM   #6

Have you considered using Eternabond tape? The stuff is awesome and sticks to just about anything. Suggest you do a forum search for comments, advice, etc. Don't know if you can buy it locally such as an RV store....perhaps. Cleanliness and proper application is key. The stuff is not cheap, but you'll only do it once. Dicor is also great stuff....if applied correctly. Hope that helps...

Tags
roof