Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

Changing Transmission oil and filter 04 Discovery

Just bought a 2004 FW Discovery with FL chassis, 6sp.allison, and C7 Cat. Have no manual. Just wondering about procedure changing trans oil(atf?) and filter(s). New to forum. Thanx. Also onan generator runs fine but hard starting. Ideas?
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check out the posts (past and present) in the Allison thread, farther down in this forum.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #3

You might want to crawl under and get the serial # and call Allison for capacity and filters.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #4

And Transynd
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
YC1

Is this your first diesel powered generator? If hard starting do you mean the light flashes for a while before cranking? There are glow plugs on the generator and a fuse or the plugs may have failed. If it is cold it can take 20-30 seconds before my starter will engage.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Is this your first diesel powered generator? If hard starting do you mean the light flashes for a while before cranking? There are glow plugs on the generator and a fuse or the plugs may have failed. If it is cold it can take 20-30 seconds before my starter will engage.
Cranks and cranks but won't start. Might be a glow plug problem. I've got that manual. I'll run thru troubleshooting, and yes it's my first diesel genset. Have had a couple gas generators. Just wondering if it's common on an Onan. Shouldn't say it won't start, it does eventually.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #7

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Just bought a 2004 FW Discovery with FL chassis, 6sp.allison, and C7 Cat. Have no manual. Just wondering about procedure changing trans oil(atf?) and filter(s). New to forum. Thanx. Also onan generator runs fine but hard starting. Ideas?
Slate,

Visit my thread under "Former Allison Transmission Fluids Engineer". I think you'll enjoy the information there.
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You can get the serial number off your transmission and go to Allison and find out about your transmission.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/myallisontransmission/mytransmissioninformation/
Welcom to the forum.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just guessing on the Onan, sounds like no fuel. Possibly changing out the fuel filter could solve your problem.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #10

Clayobx,

Just was I was thinking. A fairly common problem. Another possibility is a blown fuse in the generator. Had a friend that had that problem. Fuses are a bit difficult to find, there are three under the control panel at the front top of the generator. we looked for a while to find all of them.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
Clayobx,

Just was I was thinking. A fairly common problem. Another possibility is a blown fuse in the generator. Had a friend that had that problem. Fuses are a bit difficult to find, there are three under the control panel at the front top of the generator. we looked for a while to find all of them.
It does start eventually, runs rough and blows smoke, then smooths out and runs perfect. Kinda don't think it's fuel. Is there a glow plug fuse? You probably got something there. As I said, I have the Onan manual, I'll look at troubleshooting and get back.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine is not diesel but when I first got it I had a hard time starting it. Didn't know it had a summer and winter leaver just in front of carburetor. moved to winter and it cranked right up.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Generator

IF it's a diesel it has a glow plug. Are you holding the switch in long enough?

Tags
transmission