Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #1

Chassis battery charging

Hi All,

I need an electrical expert here please. 2006 Discovery 39s. My manual says there is a DC converter that charges the chassis battery when there is AC power on the coach (either gen or shore). Well I know that my chassis batteries used to be charged on shore power...but now they're not. They get charged when I start the engine...but nothing on gen or shore.

Can anyone point me to where this converter is that charges my chassis batteries? Btw I have verified from xantrex that my Freedom 458 inverter/charger does not charge my chassis batteries. The xantrex guy says there has got to be something else.

I have an Intelitec System Model 900 EMS which I thought had to be the culprit. Don't think so.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

-Eric
BigEvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2021, 03:42 AM   #2

On our 08 Discovery charging CONTROL is handled by the BCC Battery Control Center. The BCC controls LOTs of DC voltages/components. I have attached a copy of the BCC Manual AS AN EXAMPLE in our coach. You need to verify if your coach has a BCC and who made it.
Good Luck

BCC Troubleshooting.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	BCC pcb.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	326000
Old 04-23-2021, 04:59 AM   #3

The solenoid I marked is most likely your problem.

If it has 2 same size, battery cables, one house and one chassis, its the isolation solenoid.
They fail internally, often.

Push the boost or aux switch on and off, while listening for it to clunk. If it does that's the one.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2021-04-23-06-57-05.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	326003
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:20 AM   #4

Yes. This was my assumption that the BCC has something to do with it. The troubleshooting guide is extremely helpful! Thank you!

-E
Old 04-23-2021, 05:25 AM   #5

Twinboat, this is the "aux start relay" correct? If so the trouble shooting guide indicates that my aux start relay is externally mounted because I have a diesel coach.

Correct?

Thanks for the help.

-E
Old 04-23-2021, 07:11 AM   #6

Yes some are and about twice the size.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:24 AM   #7

You guys put me onto the right path. Thank you very much. I was able to locate the proper manual for my BCC. I have an Intelitec BCC. So following the manual I started poking around in the box with my DVM probes checking for power and pulling fuses to check them and the damn thing started working! This is the worst, an intermittent problem. Now I have to wait for it to fail to start troubleshooting again!

But I think it's gonna turn out to be a battery isolator in the beginning stages of failure. The aux start switch doesn't test properly according to the troubleshooting manual and that points to either a bad switch or bad isolator. But even with the aux start switch test failure the chassis batteries are still charging at the moment.

Do we think the converter that is doing the chassis battery charging is part of the BCC? I sure as heck can't find a stand alone converter anywhere in my damn coach!

Thanks for the help guys. Greatly appreciated.

-Eric
BigEvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:42 AM   #8

Chassis_Electrical.pdf

I have attached a complete set of drawings of the chassis electrical ON MY COACH - use accordingly EXAMPLE ONLY. I would pull the connectors and spray the contacts with CRC contact cleaner and re insert them.
Good Luck keep up the good work! PS how do you know its charging? What indicator are you using?
JOHN
Old 04-24-2021, 05:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvi View Post
You guys put me onto the right path. Thank you very much. I was able to locate the proper manual for my BCC. I have an Intelitec BCC. So following the manual I started poking around in the box with my DVM probes checking for power and pulling fuses to check them and the damn thing started working! This is the worst, an intermittent problem. Now I have to wait for it to fail to start troubleshooting again!

But I think it's gonna turn out to be a battery isolator in the beginning stages of failure. The aux start switch doesn't test properly according to the troubleshooting manual and that points to either a bad switch or bad isolator. But even with the aux start switch test failure the chassis batteries are still charging at the moment.

Do we think the converter that is doing the chassis battery charging is part of the BCC? I sure as heck can't find a stand alone converter anywhere in my damn coach!

Thanks for the help guys. Greatly appreciated.

-Eric
That's how solenoids fail. As the internal contacts burn and pit, the connection becomes unreliable.

Some of the larger solenoids are serviceable. Open them up and clean up the contacts.

Tags
battery, charging, chassis