Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #1

Chassis Battery not charging

We have a 2014 Southwind, and when parked at home it is plugged into a 30-amp receptacle.
The coach batteries are continually being charged, but the chassis battery seems to be slowly discharging.
The 2 main battery shut off switches in the "on" position.
Should the Chassis Battery also be charging at the same time?
If not, is there something I can do to keep this battery charged when connected to 110-volt 30-amp power?
Thanks for your input.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2021, 08:12 AM   #2

Unless the coach was equipped with a B.I.R.D. type of device, the chassis battery only charges from the engine alternator.

You can easily add one as I am doing now on our Ď02 coach, and did so on our Ď91.

Or you can just buy a small trickle charger for the chassis battery.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Intellitec BIRD 53-00362-100.pdf (105.0 KB, 20 views)
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Unless the coach was equipped with a B.I.R.D. type of device, the chassis battery only charges from the engine alternator.

You can easily add one as I am doing now on our Ď02 coach, and did so on our Ď91.

Or you can just buy a small trickle charger for the chassis battery.
I would be surprised if OP did not have a BIRD.

I would not be surprised that the either the BIRD or the solenoid the BIRD activates are no longer working. I have replaced both when my MH was new to me.

Subsequently my BIRD has stopped working again.

On my MH there is an 'aux start' that also activates the solenoid that connects the chassis and house batteries. Put a beer bottle cap under the switch and the it will activate the solenoid.

Just did it and my chassis batteries charged for a few minutes.

Just do not forget to remove the bottle cap when your engine is not running or plugged in.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
I would be surprised if OP did not have a BIRD.

I would not be surprised that the either the BIRD or the solenoid the BIRD activates are no longer working. I have replaced both when my MH was new to me.

Subsequently my BIRD has stopped working again.

On my MH there is an 'aux start' that also activates the solenoid that connects the chassis and house batteries. Put a beer bottle cap under the switch and the it will activate the solenoid.

Just did it and my chassis batteries charged for a few minutes.

Just do not forget to remove the bottle cap when your engine is not running or plugged in.
Your entirely correct followingsea - the Emergency Start switch does nothing more than connect the coach and chassis batteries together. The BIRD does that automatically by monitoring the charge state of each battery set, then closing the EStart relay to allow either the alternator to charge the house batteries, or shore power/generator to charge the chassis battery (engine not running).

Using the beer cap solution works well until you forget to remove it and are running on battery power only or have a lot of parasitic battery drain, where youíll end up with dead batteries all around.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #5

Mine is southwind.. older.. does the same.. so I ordered battery combiner.. Google that.. add one.. all ok now..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 11-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post

Using the beer cap solution works well until you forget to remove it and are running on battery power only or have a lot of parasitic battery drain, where youíll end up with dead batteries all around.
Very important point!

Ways I can charge batteries. Start Cummins ISB. Start Onan. Start $88 HF generator with pull cord. Start Inverter/generator with cord. Start TOAD and use jumper cables.

Then there is the old standby, wave jumper cables at the white PU with Texas plates. Even works in NYC.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
We have a 2014 Southwind, and when parked at home it is plugged into a 30-amp receptacle.
The coach batteries are continually being charged, but the chassis battery seems to be slowly discharging.
The 2 main battery shut off switches in the "on" position.
Should the Chassis Battery also be charging at the same time?
If not, is there something I can do to keep this battery charged when connected to 110-volt 30-amp power?
Thanks for your input.
I noticed the same issue on my 2011 32VS, it wouldnít charge on 30amps but when Iím camping, I generally get 50amp and Iíve noticed that the starting battery is taking a charge. Since I added 200w solar panels directly to the batteries, when I switch on the storage switches, I can hear the solenoid click and my engine battery is charging. I would add a dc volt meter to one of your dash 12v outlets and see when charging is taking place. There is a kit that permits you to hard wire the engine battery to the coach batteries and allows a trickle charge I think itís a intelligent device. Good luck.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:02 PM   #8

It's amazing how the non Fleetwood owners provide wrong answers.
Your Fleetwood coach has a Battery Control Center. Probably provided By RV Custom Products. The BCC will be located close to your battery array. In the black box is a silver relay (isolator relay) that has probably failed. There will be a wiring print on the inside of the BCC's cover that will help you find the isolator relay.
The circuit board in the BCC monitors both battery banks and when either bank reaches 13.3 volts, the isolator relay will close if all is working properly.
You can find trouble shooting guides on R V Custom Products web site.

Richard
Old 11-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Your Fleetwood coach has a Battery Control Center. Probably provided By RV Custom Products. The BCC will be located close to your battery array. In the black box is a silver relay (isolator relay) that has probably failed. There will be a wiring print on the inside of the BCC's cover that will help you find the isolator relay.
The circuit board in the BCC monitors both battery banks and when either bank reaches 13.3 volts, the isolator relay will close if all is working properly.
You can find trouble shooting guides on R V Custom Products web site.

Richard
^^^^^^^
FYI.. I had concerns with mine not charging. I spoke to John at RV Custom who was very helpful explaining this to me
Old 11-30-2021, 08:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Keeping my mouth shut on that. I poke about in forums of coaches that are similar to mine even though different brands. Never know when you might learn something. Mine also doesn't charge the chassis battery. Though it's a different brand and has different parts, this thread has given me the idea that I might want to dig into mine a bit more. We had previously dismissed the issue as "just the way old coaches were made" but I'm starting to have doubts. Actually investigating this versus making assumptions has now been piled onto my ever growing to-do list.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:46 PM   #11

Thank You Richard!!!!

I've just downloaded all items pertaining to my F73-1044 and hopefully will be able to isolate and fix my charging problem. I recently lost all charging of my coach batteries and read my manual for the inverter/charger. It listed 3 potential reasons. 1) defective battery I didn't think this was the case as they all seemed to meter good. 2) bad connection. All my battery connections looked good as I installed them last year and cleaned all them and sprayed the protective red coating on them. 3) poor input voltage. My generator was 120V on the nose. About 2am I had an epiphany. What about the 300 amp fuse??? 2:45 am I got dressed and outside I went (staying at a rest area at the Wisconsin/Dubuque border. Both sides of the fuse checked at 12.4 Volts. Hmmmm, then I decided to check resistance and sure as can be there was lots of it. Back in the RV and brought out another 300 amp fuse and got my tools out of a compartment. Changed the good appearing fuse with a new one and all works great. One side of the fuse was all black with corrosion.

Charged then but I still have the issue of not both chassis and coach charging from the same source. Hopefully this will get me through it.

Question: How do I find the wires from the little solar panels on the roof to see if they're hooked up to anything and charging anything?

Steve
stevewitt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:50 AM   #12

I agree. Helpful folks should not speculate on “fixes” for problems. It’s not helpful in my opinion. But hey, it’s still a free country. Take advice on the internet with caution.
Yes you found the BCC. Good! In there there are three solenoids. They do go bad over time. These solenoids are what connect the main (chassis) and aux (house) battery banks. You can check if they are working by enabling the battery switches up and down you should hear a clink each time you activate either switch. No sound means it’s not working.
If it’s not then there is a troubleshooting matrix from RV custom products you can use to troubleshoot.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:00 AM   #13

I have a 2006 Southwind. Went crazy trying to solve the same problem. Ot was stupidly simple. The ground lug on my chassis was a bit corroded.

Easy access. Removed it, wire brushed the grounding point and replaced the bolt and washers. Coated with silicone. All works perfectly now. I plug into 110v AC at home all the time and both sets of batteries always stay charged.

By the way, the simple fix was performed after replacing a solenoid and innumerable numbers of fuses.
MEC57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewitt1 View Post
Thank You Richard!!!!
Question: How do I find the wires from the little solar panels on the roof to see if they're hooked up to anything and charging anything?

Steve
F18 on the BCC board is where the solar panel connects to.

Tags
battery, charging, chassis