Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chassis battery not charging using shore power

Can anyone tell me where the "BIRD" is located in a 2008 Discovery? My chassis batteries are not charging when plugged into shore power.
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did they used to charge on shore power? Mine don't, not on out last two motorhomes. To charge the chassis battery, one must use a charger of some sort, or fire up the main engine. I'm not even sure if the genset will charge the chassis batts. If you do use a charger remember: charging batteries give off hydrogen gas, which is very explosive. Either leave the charger outside the battery compartment with the cables running in thru the door seal, or leave the door open while charging. My current mh has a 2" hole in the bottom of the battery compartment to allow the cables to enter while the charger itself sits outside ON, not in, a plastic oil drip pan to keep it off the ground.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Did they used to charge on shore power? Mine don't, not on out last two motorhomes. To charge the chassis battery, one must use a charger of some sort, or fire up the main engine. I'm not even sure if the genset will charge the chassis batts. If you do use a charger remember: charging batteries give off hydrogen gas, which is very explosive. Either leave the charger outside the battery compartment with the cables running in thru the door seal, or leave the door open while charging. My current mh has a 2" hole in the bottom of the battery compartment to allow the cables to enter while the charger itself sits outside ON, not in, a plastic oil drip pan to keep it off the ground.
that is exactly what a BIRD is. It is to charge both the chassis and house batteries.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #4

BIRD.
Bi-directional Isolation Relay with Delay.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My chassis batteries charge through the coach batteries. The coach batteries have to be getting at least 13.3 volts, or they will not let the charge go through to the chassis batteries. Call FW if you have questions, they can talk you through the process.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood will tell you that you have bad batteries. I had the exact same conversation with them (And it turns out they were probably right).
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:20 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreen View Post
Can anyone tell me where the "BIRD" is located in a 2008 Discovery? My chassis batteries are not charging when plugged into shore power.
Your coach does not have a discreet BIRD (like the Intellitec device shown in your post). Your BIRD function is located in the BCC (Battery Control Center). It is integrated into the printed Circuit board.

Find the BCC, and tell us who manufactured it (Intellitec or RV-Custom Products) and I'll give you test procedures and diagrams for the correct one.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW my BCC is on the right side as you open the "hood", big black box cleverly labled "Battery Control Center. It's made by RV-Custom Products and I'd love a copy of the test procedures since mine dosen't charge the starter battery on shore power and the "boost" switch doesn't work, so I have to carry a battery charger for when I stop for more then a week.
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #9

I find it amazing that MH manufactures can put out a product that can't sit for a week without the batteries going dead.

I park my car for a month or more and it starts.

We had Mack and Freightliner trucks that started after sitting over the winter.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #10

A lot of electronics and gadgets in these motor homes!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
TonyMac
That is excellent advice if/when batteries need to be charged using a battery charger.

It is apparent that you know that many motor home chassis batteries are not charged at all unless the engine is running.
That is not a bad thing...most motorized vehicles, (cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc.), handle battery charging that same way.

BTW that has NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM on my 145k mile coach.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frede View Post
FWIW my BCC is on the right side as you open the "hood", big black box cleverly labled "Battery Control Center. It's made by RV-Custom Products and I'd love a copy of the test procedures since mine dosen't charge the starter battery on shore power and the "boost" switch doesn't work, so I have to carry a battery charger for when I stop for more then a week.
Your problem is most likely a defective Isolator/aux start/charge solenoid. This solenoid is located behind the circuit board in your BCC. It is a simple continuous duty solenoid, and is the shiny on in the middle of the two disconnect solenoids.

PM me an e-mail address and I'll give you the diagrams and test procedures.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I find it amazing that MH manufactures can put out a product that can't sit for a week without the batteries going dead.

I park my car for a month or more and it starts.

We had Mack and Freightliner trucks that started after sitting over the winter.
Those trucks and cars don't have continuously operating LP leak detectors, hard wired smoke/fire detectors and/or step motors either.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
Those trucks and cars don't have continuously operating LP leak detectors, hard wired smoke/fire detectors and/or step motors either.
Old Bounder
I believe those 12V items are powered by the "house" batteries, (not the "chassis" battery or batteries), in coaches that have no provision for chassis battery charging other than via the alternator.
I know they are in my coach.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, chassis, power, shore power