Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #1

Chassis battery not working

Current status.. Plugged in to shore power since I parked it mid December. This afternoon I Opened door and steps did not open. I noticed they were sluggish last month when I went inside to exercise generator, so thought being 18 year steps they finally gave up. The Interior lights functioned properly. Fired up generator and ran ac to exercise. Great. All is well. BUT when I turned the key to start engine, nothing. No lights, no horn. Pressed aux start, nothing. No clicking, no lights, no horn. Being as it was a 6 year old battery, I decided that was the issue so replaced chassis battery with new one . Opened door and steps did not move . Turned key and nothing . Hooked up battery charger, 2 minutes later and still nothing, pressed aux start and the steps came out (door was open). Aux still pressed, turned key and it fired right up! Disconnect charger and let it run for a few minutes . Turned off then back on and nothing. No dash lights, no horn. Pressed aux start and nothing. Plugged charger up, press aux start and fired right up. Shut it down and tested old battery and getting approx 12.6. Same on new battery. So, without battery charger, nothing happens even when pressing aux start.
This is where I don't understand... I connect charger and nothing . Press aux start and turn key (but NOT try to start) and dash lights come on. Tried to start and got clicking but no start. Now 20 minutes later, went back outside. Turned key and nothing . Pressed aux start and dash lights came on. Tried to start just clicking. Tried twice and then no dash lights. Checked charger and no lights on it. Unplugged and re plugged and the charger lights up. Showing full charge by the way. Went back in turned key and nothing. Press aux start and now dash lights. Bumped the started very quickly and got clicking.
Any idea what the problem may be?
burgman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #2

Your symptoms tell me that you should remove battery posts and clean them.

Don't look at them, actually remove them and sand or wire brush them. Put them back on right.

You are hooking the battery charger to the terminals, not the actually battery posts.

The charger is sending enough power to activate your boost circuit. When it boosts, it starts off the house batteries.

None of the charger power is going thru the terminals to the battery.

Clean them, it's free.

I could be wrong.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll check on the terminals tomorrow. But I don't think that is the problem. I have never bought a new battery that would not start the vehicle, much less not power the dash lights. This leads me to think I've got an electrical issue. I just went outside to check on things, disconnected charger then went inside, turned key and nothing. Pressed aux start and nothing.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
Thanks, I'll check on the terminals tomorrow. But I don't think that is the problem. I have never bought a new battery that would not start the vehicle, much less not power the dash lights. This leads me to think I've got an electrical issue. I just went outside to check on things, disconnected charger then went inside, turned key and nothing. Pressed aux start and nothing.
I assume you are familiar enough with your Bounder to know that the Chassis/Main battery disconnect switch, by the entry door, must be ON. Right?

The Boost (aux-start) switch simply connects the house batteries to the chassis battery, so that's why everything works when you hold that switch ON. If you are plugged into shore power, or have that charger connected, things will appear to work for a while after releasing the switch, because the BIRD function in the BCC will keep the aux-start/isolator solenoid energized until the charge voltage is removed.

Your new chassis battery is doing nothing at the moment. If cleaning and tightening the battery connections does not help, the problem could be in the BCC, (Disconnect solenoid or ignition relay within the BCC).
Old 03-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #5

Thanks. I'll work with it some more Saturday morning. And yes I am familiar with both dissconnect switches. They were never turned off, but just to make sure I did turn them off and back on.
burgman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:41 AM   #6

Recognize this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1457181116.826456.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	120532

Yep, and do I feel dumb. This happens to others but not to me. Oh well, feel free to chuckle or even laugh!

Forgot to take the negative cover off. Woke up at 3 this morning with that realization. Now she works just fine . Fired right up. Thanks all for the help. Have a great weekend!!!
Old 03-05-2016, 05:47 AM   #7

So it wasn't dirty connections, after all.

Thanks for posting that. You made my day.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
So it wasn't dirty connections, after all.

Thanks for posting that. You made my day.
Well I like to spread sunshine and happiness!

Tags
battery, chassis