Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #1

Cool Circuit dropped while traveling '14 Excursion

Just purchased a 2014 Fleetwood Excursion 35B. Cannot operate Micro-wave or 2 GFI outlet plugs under cabinets above sink/drainboard while underway. Obviously on same circuit. Was told by a Tech that this Coach will not allow this circuit to be energized while driving. If needed I would have to start the generator and yes the outlets and Micro-wave will then operate. FYI, this coach has a residential frig.
Also, should the chassis and main switches be on when underway and off when connected to shore power? I have turned them on before and never turned them off unless the coach will be setting for awhile.

Thanks In Advance,
txrmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You do not have 110/120 Volts (outlets, etc) in the coach without shore power, inverter or generator. Therefore when going down the road you have 2 choices - generator or inverter. I use the inverter most of the time.

The chassis and main switches should be on if coach in use (ie not parked). Actually, I believe it the engine is on, they automatically get turned on.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #3

So the inverter is on automatically when coach is underway, no matter how the switches are positioned? So, if the inverter is on, why no AC to the MW and outlets while underway?

And ultimately both chassis and main switches should be left on while coach is in use, correct?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2014, 04:50 AM   #4

txrmj, this has nothing to do with Fleetwood not "allowing the circuit to be energized while driving" it's simply that your coach is not wired for a whole-house inverter. The inverter in your unit will not power all the 120V AC in your coach - it's only 2000 watts, which is about 16amps. Generally the inverter (based upon size) is wired to a TV or two and the resi refrigerator. As mentioned above, you need to be plugged into 50amp shore power or running the generator to have full use of your 120V AC outlets.

Whether the inverter is ON or OFF and you're plugged into shore or running the generator, the inverter function is bypassed automatically and the 120V AC passes straight thru without using your house batteries to produce the AC voltage. If you are not running the generator or plugged into shore power then the inverter ON/OFF functions as you would expect and derives it's source power from your house batteries to power the resi refig and a few AC outlets for TVs.

The disconnect switches: The AUX side controls the "house". The MAIN is for the chassis. On newer Fleetwoods (yours included), the AUX side is automatically engaged when the engine is running even if you had it off. These should be left on when you are using the coach - and turned off if you're not using it.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I see from your profile that you had a Thor ACE prior to your new Fleetwood. Our 35B was our second MH as well. We are really enjoying it - am sure you will too. Also we are quite impressed so far with Fleetwood's quality.

In response to your post, you would need a whole house inverter to power the outlets and ac. Just run the generator when you are heading down the road - it's pretty quiet and runs on the diesel fuel - so you don't really have to worry about using up the propane. The propane is quite a large tank as well, IMO. And I don't think you will compromise your gas mileage that much - maybe a little, but in the big picture, not enough to worry about. Your generator likes to run, I'm told!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #6

Thank You Both for taking the time to respond. 94 Newmar, you have explained this very well and have eased our minds to understand what we have experienced.
DebbieMH, you are correct! We traded the ACE @ the Denver/Golden CW. Drove our Excursion back and experienced quite a scary wind phenomenon in Pueblo, CO. This Coach performed awesome. We Love it so far. Just wanting to fully understand electrical functions to either not damage anything and or cause a simple misunderstood catastrophe. I have always asked more than likely "the dumb questions". Rather be safe than sorry. FYI. like 94 Newmar explained I called the tech that prepped our Coach, he said, not all the AC can function while underway. So they allowed the Resi. Frig. to remain on, but dropped the Micro-Wave circuit.

Thanks Again the Both of You!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Motor homes come in 3 types for this discussion:
Mine, from the factory, had no inverters, ALL 120 volt stuff was dead when driving (Unless you used a really long extension cord,, that is a joke).

Some have a SMALL inverter that can operate televisions, and the support electronics (Sat Receiver, DVR, Dome) but that's about all. NOTE that a front mounted overhead TV where the driver can see it is locked out when driving,, that (And perhaps slides, awnings and the step override that keeps it extended when parked) are the only things locked out.

Some (Mine after modification) have Inverters in the 1500 and up wattage range that can not only feed the Televisions and support electronics (See above limit) but the Microwave and Kitchen outlets as well.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrmj View Post
So the inverter is on automatically when coach is underway, no matter how the switches are positioned? So, if the inverter is on, why no AC to the MW and outlets while underway?

And ultimately both chassis and main switches should be left on while coach is in use, correct?

Thanks
It depends on how your coach is wired. On mine, I turn on the inverter when I need it (going down the road), then off when not needed. Are you sure this is not a GFI issue, where one has popped, thus no power to any on the GFI circuit?

Yes, both main switches on when using the coach.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #9

Cat320,
I did reset a GFI plug but don't believe it had anything to do with how our Coach is wired that it is does not allow that circuit to be hot during travel. When I started and or start the Gen. (during travel) everything worked/works fine and yes understood now those switches need to be in the on position when in and or using the MH.

Thank You,
txrmj

Tags
travel