Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #1

Class A Longevity ?

There's quite a long discussion over on Facebook...Class A versus Class C....which would you prefer ? The overwhelming replies were Class C's !

One of the big reasons was that Class C chassis are manufactured by Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, etc....with their long pedigree of engineering, build quality and safety standards that must be adhered to. Class A's ? hm.....

So, my other question is longevity ? How do Class A's fair over many years ? It's a huge depreciating expense. Do they last or do they fall apart ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys View Post

One of the big reasons was that Class C chassis are manufactured by Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, etc....with their long pedigree of engineering, build quality and safety standards that must be adhered to. Class A's ? hm.....
LOL !

Have you ever had a close look at a Freightliner, Roadmaster, Spartan, DP chassis? They make the chassis you listed look like toys!
Old 12-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #3

I agree. Our Freightliner XC chassis is totally robust. No comparison to a Ford 450 chassis. Just a solid foundation for our coach. All the running gear is what you would expect to see on an over the road tractor.
IMHO.
Jimb
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

Did you know that FORD makes all of the chassis for the gas powered Class A's? The chassis in most all motorhomes are built very strong. It's the quality of the "house" that comes into play when talking quality.

I've never owned a Class A but in my job I get to drive them all and you definitely get what you pay for. Talking the gas powered Class A's, the difference in quality between, say, a Tiffin Allergro and a Thor Challenger are night and day. Same within brands such as the Winnebago Vista and the Adventurer.

You really get what you pay for. Buy cheap, get cheap. If I was in the market I'd look at Newmar and Tiffin first, then Winnebago and Fleetwood. I wouldn't even consider a Thor. JUst my opinion.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #5

I have a fleet wood expedition 2005. Got to say the frame and chassis are bullet proof and fleet wood isn't considered the highest quality. The expedition wasn't the highest model quality wise and again I have to say I'm impressed with how well it is built overall. I do have a roof leak I can't figure out that's driving me nuts that's the only ongoing issue I haven't been able to figure out or fix. Class c's are notorious for leaks at cab to trailer as well.
All rv's can and will have issues, most reputable manufacturers do their best to build them right they don't want the cost of warranty claims. Anything as big and heavy as these things going down the hwy are going to have issues as they tweak, flex and age.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #6

Mine is freight liner Xc chassis also
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
It depends on how they're cared for. They'll last a long time if properly maintained. Neglect them & you'll be lucky they make it to the loan payoff.

New ones rode hard & put away wet show it & bite the dust early. Yet, I've seen ones 10, 15 even 20+ years old that could pass for new. Ours gets routine scheduled yearly maintenance, issues are fixed promptly before they become major issues, it's kept washed/waxed & under an RV port for protection. I keep the inside clean & we don't abuse it. Ours easily passes for new & has been commented on as such at numerous campgrounds & fuel stops.

Yes, they make lemons, but for the vast majority of them, longevity depends on the owner.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	186998
1996 Fleetwood Bounder on a Ford F53 chassis. Still running strong no known roof leaks. We've owned it 4years & are now fulltiming in it .
Wish us luck as we are leaving NW Alabama tomorrow morning , off to Dallas .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #9

Iím with JLW s comments. I ve had C s since the 70s Dodge,Chev and Ford. Rebuilt the roof on two and pitting side on one, some real lessons. 82 pace arrow class A till 07 and 97 bounder til 16 and now 05 Excursion All have had their problems, but you canít compare Fords and Chevys to heavier diesels and higher end chassis. So far, Iíve never worn one out that was taken care of or junked one. I know for sure the last three are still being driven.
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:02 PM   #10

Over on Facebook I would bet everyone who states C is because that’s what they own. The mentality of what I own is best

Chassis will outlast just about everything else on the coach. I would expect the Sides and roof are probably the biggest weak spots.

From a driving standpoint class c to me is the hardest most tiring to drive. Then gas a with a DP being the easiest/best. In each case the chassis can last hundreds of thousands of miles....

Any coach, if it’s cared for can last a really long time. A neglected coach like my dads last one, falls apart not due to being a A gas coach, simple neglect on his part,
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #11

Quality of build, quality of house components used + owner care are the variables.

Here is our rig on the Natchez Trace in October, a very solid 19.5 year old Class A:

Name:	Natchez Trace Eagle.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	501.4 KB
ID:	187126
Old 12-29-2017, 05:13 PM   #12

We see 20 year old Fleetwoods all over here in California.
Some look better than others but they're both still on the road
Old 12-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Quality of build, quality of house components used + owner care are the variables.

Here is our rig on the Natchez Trace in October, a very solid 19.5 year old Class A:

Attachment 187126

That's a beauty!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
I'll play....and put my 1999 Eagle to have held resale value over like year class c

Name:	IMG_20171229_201607.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	187226
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a