Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #1

Clicking sound under bed when hooked to shore power...

I have looked at many posts dealing with clicking noise while hooked to shore power, but can't find one related to my problem. I am getting a clicking sound under the bed while hooked to shore power. It is NOT coming from the transfer switch. It sounds like it is coming from inside the breaker panel. I can "trip" the GFI breaker and reset it and the clicking goes away. Of course after a few minutes the clicking sound returns. Is my GFI breaker faulty and is this causing the clicking sound. I have a 2006 Revolution LE. Everything works great when running the generator. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 06:53 PM   #2

Transfer switch clicks, can be loud.
I’m used to it
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #3

Completely normal-each click is for each breaker in your panel. If you watch the power display panel it'll illuminate a light for each circuit as they turn on.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:43 PM   #4

On my 2005 Revolution LE - I would get a clicking sound when I would plug into shore power or run my generator as well. The "click" would be pretty fast-paced (guessing 2 clicks per second) for a while and then go away eventually after running the generator for a while, driving, or being plugged into shore power for a length of time. Everything functioned normally, no power issues, nothing else out of the ordinary. Like you, the only place I could track it down too was the fuse panel mounted near bottom of the bed.
Totally unrelated to the clicking, I replaced the house batteries and coach batteries, cleaned the contact points and tightened all the grounds I could find. Now I no longer hear the clicking. My only thoughts are that the batteries were low, or there was a ground issue with a relay perhaps at the same location behind the fuse box.

Does your clicking eventually go away, or is it constant?
FunCyzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoe44 View Post
I have looked at many posts dealing with clicking noise while hooked to shore power, but can't find one related to my problem. I am getting a clicking sound under the bed while hooked to shore power. It is NOT coming from the transfer switch. It sounds like it is coming from inside the breaker panel. I can "trip" the GFI breaker and reset it and the clicking goes away. Of course after a few minutes the clicking sound returns. Is my GFI breaker faulty and is this causing the clicking sound. I have a 2006 Revolution LE. Everything works great when running the generator. Thanks

Have you remove the panel under bed to verify where itís coming from? Should not be anything under bed that clicks besides transfer switch.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:54 PM   #6

Once the clicking starts, which is anywhere between 30 mins to a few hours after plugging into my 30amp service I am using for it. It does not go away once it begins. The green display lights in front of unit on the EMS, display fully until clicking starts. Then they start running up and down constantly. I do not hear the sound coming from the transfer switch. I am within a few inches of the sound and it seems to definitely be coming from inside the fuse panel box. Thanks
Old 10-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Once the clicking starts, which is anywhere between 30 mins to a few hours after plugging into my 30amp service I am using for it. It does not go away once it begins. The green display lights in front of unit on the EMS, display fully until clicking starts. Then they start running up and down constantly. I do not hear the sound coming from the transfer switch. I am within a few inches of the sound and it seems to definitely be coming from inside the fuse panel box. Thanks
Weird, this sounds very similar to what I had previously. My EMS display unit would show odd numbers, click from the same location you are describing, but everything would work properly ( w/genset running) and then after some time (varied but more than 30 minutes) the clicking would stop and the EMS would display the proper amp usage. I did find that when I flipped one of the breakers on the panel, the clicking did stop. So I absolutely know it wasn't the transfer switch, but definitively tied to something in/around the panel.

My clicking went away after replacing the batteries (for issues unrelated to the clicking) combined with cleaning and tightening the grounds and battery cables. My only thoughts were that the clicking was related to batteries not having enough juice to close/keep closed a relay until the genset had run long enough to bring the batteries up enough. This is admittedly based on 2 potentially unrelated events happening around the same time - and having other problems higher up on my list of things to do so I didn't bother digging too deep.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #8

Quote:

You can remove front face cover and look.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:37 PM   #9

I am going to remove the breaker panel front tomorrow and try and get a better location of the clicking source. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #10

Quote:
I am going to remove the breaker panel front tomorrow and try and get a better location of the clicking source. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Better track it down. Might be a camera installed by a previous owner. Lol.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:23 PM   #11

Changed out the GFI breaker. It's been 5 hours and so far NO clicking sound.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:35 AM   #12

My clicking sound is back - so did you just change out the breaker in the panel and everything went away?

I had it clicking for a solid 16-18 hours, before it stopped this time. I did take some pics just to highlight exactly what was clicking to see if there is any wisdom before I just start throwing new breakers at the problem...

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse panel.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	350077

This is the panel with the front cover removed - the clicking is coming from the control board on the right.

Name:	EMS Controller.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	350075

This is the board out of the panel, the clicking is coming from one of the relays on the right. Couldn't figure out which one even with my fingers on the relays (felt like maybe they were all clicking, or just felt that way because of proximity)

Name:	EMS panel.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	350076
This is what the control panel up front looked like, oddly, I was plugged into a 20 amp outlet, the generator was not running. The numbers/letters on the board change or sometimes don't make any discernable pattern while the clicking is happening. When the clicking stops, it goes back to showing the incoming power source correctly (20/30/50 amp, gen set) and the load currently in use.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:45 AM   #13
YC1

That is a load shedding control board.

While on 30 amps the board monitors the current and when it determines you are right at or over the limit it begins "shedding" circuits. Such as water heaters, air conditioners, washer/dryers etc.

It can begin shedding at less than 30 amps if it sees a constant very close to 30 amp load. It can take you down to around 24 amps by disconnecting circuits.

So the thing is likely doing its job well.

Now for possible solutions. You must find out what you are running on AC. IF you have your water heater on electric mode, switch it to propane as well as your refer if it has that capability.

Since you have a sophisticated system you may be able to turn your charger down. That is, it is likely running at 80-100% which is not needed once you are charged up.

I have a round know on my control panel that allows me to program the charger to many settings.

If you are trying to run a floor heater while on 30 amps you are really tempting the load gods. They can eat up half of the available current allowed by the system.

Turning off whatever GFCI you are using is just doing a manual "load shed".

I hope this helps and I will be back with some more infomation,
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #14
YC1

Here is the factory explanation.

This is a service type video but the information is excellent.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power