Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Clogged faucets

So the bedroom sink and bathroom sink (faucets, not drains) in my 2007 discovery are clogged up. Guessing calcium build up from low use. I unscrewed the caps, so it is not that causing the blockage.

does anyone have an easier remedy to this problem, before I pull the fixtures out??
EMPIRE231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you've unscrewed and removed the aerators and they're still clogged, you could try pumping vinegar into the lines. Let it sit a couple of hours and see if the flow is any better. You must have really hard water to get build up in the lines. Have you drained and flushed the water heater? It also could benefit from a vinegar soak if hard water is the source.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #3

If the low flow is when running on the water pump check the inline strainer located on the water pump. also make sure both of the external shower faucets are closed if they are open the water can divert pressure there.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #4

both cold and hot water flowing freely from the kitchen sink and the shower. I'm pretty sure it is just build up in the smaller faucets (bedroom and bathroom). it is the same on hookups or of the pump.

I'll try the vinegar or maybe some CLR before I take everything apart.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Same flow if you unscrew the aerator and then run water?
Old 08-29-2018, 03:23 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPIRE231 View Post
both cold and hot water flowing freely from the kitchen sink and the shower. I'm pretty sure it is just build up in the smaller faucets (bedroom and bathroom). it is the same on hookups or of the pump.

I'll try the vinegar or maybe some CLR before I take everything apart.
The pipe size is usually the same in all plumbing, not sure why smaller faucets would have reduced flow. Check the strainer in the line between the tank and the pump. Do you also see the same flow issues when connected to city water? Very unusual for mineral deposits to build up in PEX or plastic lines unless you've had many cycles of draining and leaving lines empty. If your system uses a manifold to distribute water, make sure all the valves are open in the manifold.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The pipe size is usually the same in all plumbing, not sure why smaller faucets would have reduced flow. Check the strainer in the line between the tank and the pump. Do you also see the same flow issues when connected to city water? Very unusual for mineral deposits to build up in PEX or plastic lines unless you've had many cycles of draining and leaving lines empty. If your system uses a manifold to distribute water, make sure all the valves are open in the manifold.
I'm thinking the buildup is in the actual faucet fixture... not the pex lines.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB2 View Post
Same flow if you unscrew the aerator and then run water?
yep!
Old 08-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #9

Given that the other faucets flow OK and that one does not with the aerator removed I would be looking at removing the valve bodies. Most newer ones use some type of rotary valve with a small hole to limit flow. That produces another potential clog point.

FWIW I'd shut off the water and pull the valve bodies then put a bucket over the open valves and turn the pump back on to push out any crude. Yes, it will make a mess. Have some towels handy. If it does not make a mess I would suspect crimped tubing somewhere.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:56 AM   #10

Is the low flow from both HOT and COLD water?
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Is the low flow from both HOT and COLD water?
yes
Old 09-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I had a similar issue with our kitchen faucet. When I disassembled it I found the clog was in the only part of the faucet that was not removable so I just replaced the entire faucet. I got a similar unit from a big box store and was back in business in about one hour. Good luck and safe travels!
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #13

UPDATE

So I finally got around to fixing these. Wen't to home depot to just buy replacements, and they were around $80+ each for a similar style. The factory installed faucets were nice moen fixtures... Instead of doing that, I decided I had a Sunday with nothing to do, so I went back home and took apart the old fixtures.

soaked them in CLR for about 10 minutes
rinsed with water
Soaked them in vinegar for about 10 minutes
rinsed with water
hit everything with about 120PSI compressed air... it cleared everything out.

then I realized I could actually just disassemble each lever, and remove the inner cartridge (I checked before removing them from the sink, there were no set screws or caps... the base just screws onto the fixture) So I did a little further cleaning, compressed air... and reassembled everything, and it is all working good as new.

saved myself about $200 ... and know know I can save a bunch of time by just unscrewing the lever & cartridge without having to mess with any of the plumbing or removing of the whole fixture.