Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #1

Coach batteries don't charge

When plug my american eagle 42 2004 dont charge the batteries and it also seem to drain the batteries. When plug on shore, the inverter is not supposed to provide the 12v instead of the batteries?
Spiky75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2021, 06:46 AM   #2

Inverter/chargers don't supply 12 volt power, they charge batteries that supply the power.
You need both. Most won't charge dead batteries. They need to sense some kind of battery power.

A converter/charger can supply power or charge batteries. It can do both.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:47 AM   #3

You do not provide enough information for anyone to give the right answer. The year and model of your coach would be a start. The number of chassis and house batteries would help.

On my coach, the batteries provide all the 12v power.

When plugged in to shore power, or running the generator, the inverter/charger charges the batteries. The inverter/charges the house batteries first. When the house batteries reach a certain level, the chassis batteries will be charged. This charging function is managed by an echo charger.

When boondocking, the inverter/charger provides AC power to some circuits.

When the coach is running, the alternator will charge the batteries.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
You do not provide enough information for anyone to give the right answer. The year and model of your coach would be a start.

Maybe he added the first sentence but it's there now.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The inverter in your 2004 American Coach is also a converter & charger, so yes it provides all the necessary 12v power as well as charging batteries. Apparently yours isn't doing that, but once the house batteries get low enough the inverter/charger will stop trying to charge (as a fire safety precaution).

The first thing to check would be the pushbutton circuit breaker on the inverter. In a 2004, it's probably a Xantrex RV2500 or maybe an RS3000. Also the 30A circuit breaker that provide 120v power to the inverter while on shore power.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #6

Batteries won't charge

First I would suggest that you update your profile because your profile says you have a Newmar Dutch Star.

Second you should have manuals for every electrical, plumbing and other systems in your RV. If not they can usually be found on line or on various forums related to your RV. That way you will be familiar with how your charging and electrical system is supposed to work and can make some primitive judgments on what may be wrong. Almost everything works off of your House and/or Chassis batteries and you better know how they are charged and what their upkeep and maintenance is. When asking for assistance, please give all the information about the year, make, model of your rig and any more information about your inverter and batteries and such when requesting information about electrical problems. That way maybe some one has the same rig and system you have and can help out quickly. Hope you get it worked out. Stay safe, Stay well
Kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #7

Thanks to everybody, i just dont know why everybody is saying that it will be easier with brand and model when i srarted with that in the first sentence...🤷*♂️ . Now i already checked all the fuses and breaker that im aware off, this is why i asked for help because like most of you probably already know our mh's are complicated machine and a lot of the time have special or hidden fuses,switches and more. The whole point on coming on forums like this is that maybe somebody already had the problem and found solution that is not in your ( how to change a fuse) book. Those are not elpful in 95% of the time. Now.... if some are still here to help:
I charged the batteries with the car charger last night. Plugged back the rv. The batteries are still getting drained without charging....
Is there a way to check if its not simply the inverter that is gone?
Old 12-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #8

Coach batteries dont charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky75 View Post
Thanks to everybody, i just dont know why everybody is saying that it will be easier with brand and model when i srarted with that in the first sentence...🤷*♂️ . Now i already checked all the fuses and breaker that im aware off, this is why i asked for help because like most of you probably already know our mh's are complicated machine and a lot of the time have special or hidden fuses,switches and more. The whole point on coming on forums like this is that maybe somebody already had the problem and found solution that is not in your ( how to change a fuse) book. Those are not elpful in 95% of the time. Now.... if some are still here to help:

I charged the batteries with the car charger last night. Plugged back the rv. The batteries are still getting drained without charging....

Is there a way to check if its not simply the inverter that is gone?

As other have said inverters do not charge batteries they only drain batteries to make 110 volts out of 12 volt.
What amp receptical are you plugged into?
If you are plugged into a 15 amp bulk charging will take every bit of it. Maybe system is shunting it off.
Is the charger turned on?
Does it charge when genny is running?
Old 12-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #9

Can you post pictures of your inverter and batteries.. there is just so many ones..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 12-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #10

Did you find push button breakers on the inverter/charger, down in the compartment ?

Did you find the 250 to 300 amp fuse, on the inverter cable ? It will be near the house batteries.
Also make sure a cable hasn't been left off. Sometimes they fall behind the batteries.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #11

Ok now i found the problem but i need to find the cause! Even tho i am pugged in the 50 amp at home, i have no power to the rv.... This is why my batteries were draining, its because everything was working on the inverter only, where should i start with that?
Old 12-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #12

12 volt side of life

I am sorry if you were offended or if I offend you. I really am irritating and I apologize in advance.

12 volt Side of Life part 1
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

12 volt Side of Life part 2
The 12volt Side of Life Part 2
Some of the information is a little dated, but it is still pretty good.

"american eagle 42 2004 dont charge the batteries"

Ok, I see the reference. I may be able to help, but I still need the make and model of your inverter/charger and possibly the transfer switch. Pictures are always helpful.

There is likely a transfer switch that activates the inverter function when it detects lack of shore power. It would also deactivate the charger function when inverting.

The transfer switch may or may not be an integral part of the inverter/charger. It depends on make and model.

These systems are complicated. There are endless scenarios depending on the components you have.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
As other have said inverters do not charge batteries they only drain batteries to make 110 volts out of 12 volt.

That's very misleading - there are numerous models of combined inverter/chargers. And the OP's American Eagle is definitely equipped with one of them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #14

Power flows from 50 amp power cord, cord reel, automatic transfer switch, main circuit breaker panel.

Often times there will be a surge guard type device in between the cord and auto transfer switch.

Follow the power.

Tags
batteries