Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Coach not sitting level on air bags / Air bag adjustment

I had noticed that the MH had a list to it when sitting still.

I drove it around today and then took it to a parking lot.

I found a level spot and measured the wheel well lip heights (engine running).

Left Front was 42 1/2 Right Front was 44
Left Rear was 43 1/2 Right Rear was 44

I sat and read the chassis manual on adjusting ride height and it did not fit my MH as they only have one height sensor on the front axle where I have two.

I got the measurements to

Left Front was 43 1/2 Right Front was 43 1/2
Left Rear was 44 Right Front was 44

Comments,
1) I did not change either the length of the rod that comes off the sensor or the angle of the senor arms. I only adjusted the position that the sensor arm was attached to the linkage rod from the bracket on the axle to the sensor arm.

2) I did not have to make any changes to the rear , changing the front brought the rear into level.

3) The length between the axle bracket and the senor arm on the two front senors is now different by 1 inch in the front. The top of the linkage on the left side in now even with the clamp on the sensor arm.

4) I carefully watched the air bags while making these adjustments and they "Look" to be the same on both sides (one does not appear to be blown up more than the other one).

5) To make sure that settings and measurements were creating the differences I wanted what I did was to turn on the hydrologic leveling system between each adjustment. This deflated the bags completely. I then turned it back off which re inflated the bags.

6) I have placed the Gillig Height adjustment instructions in a PDF file below.

7) I have brand new air bags all the way around the MH. They are all GoodYears. The fronts were purchased from one vendor and the rear from another.

8)The Gillig manual says "Proper ride height is the distance between the center line of the axle beam and the bottom of the frame rail. The ride height for your Neway (I have a Neway AD200 rear axle and a Neway ARS 112 Front Axle) suspension is 7.5""

9) I now notice when driving on a crowned road the MH is now tilted with the road crown when it used to be level even though the road had a crown to it. I think it drives and handles better also.

a) This raises many questions for me.
1) what is the center line on the front axle? The front is a solid drop axle, do I take the center line from the top of the spindle to the bottom of the dropped section or do I take the center line from the center of the dropped section.

2 ) Center line of the rear axle is the center of the punkin?

3) What point on the frame to I measure to?

i sure I left some stuff out.

Comments from the peanut gallery please (if you are going to comment please rear the complete post first).

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ride Height adjustment.pdf (598.9 KB, 95 views)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!