Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Code 33 onan

Unit runs approx 30 seconds and then quits, showing code 33. Have replaced oil, oil filter, air filter and have a half tank of diesel. This unit is on a 39' Bounder w a frieghtliner chassis.
Any thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

From the Onan troubleshooting guide... (click to enlarge):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	code33.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	68709  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #3

My last C+ Motorhome had a Onan diesel 7500. I had the same problem. The motorhome was in a side compartment and was difficult to access. The antifreeze coolant tank was located along the top and the oil dip stick went through the antifreeze tank. Onan glued a tube through the tank so the motor oil dip stick would run down the tube. Well as luck would have it, there was a slight leak around the tube which the antifreeze would run down the outside of the tube and onto the engine. As the tank was pretty cloudy, I could not tell if the tank was full without removing the side panel and using a strong flashlight to illuminate the antifreeze tank. After replacing the antifreeze tank and filling up the antifreeze, i never saw the error again. I guess the Onan generator needed the extra quantity of antifreeze to run properly.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #4

I had a similar problem with my Onan, shut off all loads to the generator and then start it. Usually after about a minute the inverter,fridge etc kick over to the generator mine bogged down at high altitudes, if you are over 5,oo0 ft adjust the altitude screw, after taking the loads off I let it warm up for at least 5 minutes then add loads. Onan says it has to do with the choke not opening up properly. I have not had them look at mine yet. PS mine is a gasoline 5500.
rjsupersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
I had a similar problem with my Onan, shut off all loads to the generator and then start it. Usually after about a minute the inverter,fridge etc kick over to the generator mine bogged down at high altitudes, if you are over 5,oo0 ft adjust the altitude screw, after taking the loads off I let it warm up for at least 5 minutes then add loads. Onan says it has to do with the choke not opening up properly. I have not had them look at mine yet. PS mine is a gasoline 5500.
is that a primary or secondary code ?
mrwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #6

If the genny is cold but shuts down with a code 33 it may be a defective sensor. On my 7500 Onan, the sensor was impossible to get to without removing the generator from the MH. The temp sensor can short out and when it does it sends a hot code. If it is the sensor, it will send a 33 code even if the engine is cold. Good luck.

Tags
onan