Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #1

cold air coming in around fridge

What is a easy fix for air coming in around the fridge when driving? Sorry, I didn't say what it is. It's a fleetwood discovery, 96 model, and the air is coming in from outside around the top half. there is a slight gap at the top between the fridge and the wall and no gap @ the bottom.
sonnyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Uh ... plug the hole ??? I imagine it would be helpful to know what make/year motorhome (I presume motorhome rather than towable) you are talking about, and exactly WHERE the air is coming in. Of course the refrigerator has an access compartment on the outside wall and either a roof vent or a second access compartment higher up, but the outside air should NOT be coming into the passenger compartment.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
slight gap at the top between the fridge and the wall and no gap @ the bottom
I wonder if the fridge has come loose from some anchors? I don't know how that one is anchored/tied in, etc, but it sounds like perhaps something has come loose that has allowed the top of the fridge to tip inward? At a minimum, I believe most have screws under the trim across the bottom and the top ...most likely have to have the fridge door open to see that trim & remove it. The screws normally go into wood, so could pull out. Mine has not only those screws, but 4 bolts inside the outside access compartment and 1 or 2 on top inside the roof vent AND is glued in with silicone!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #4

fridge bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I wonder if the fridge has come loose from some anchors? I don't know how that one is anchored/tied in, etc, but it sounds like perhaps something has come loose that has allowed the top of the fridge to tip inward? At a minimum, I believe most have screws under the trim across the bottom and the top ...most likely have to have the fridge door open to see that trim & remove it. The screws normally go into wood, so could pull out. Mine has not only those screws, but 4 bolts inside the outside access compartment and 1 or 2 on top inside the roof vent AND is glued in with silicone!
The fridge does not seem to be loose at all, and when i try to shove it back in at the top it wont move. Do you think that the bolts inside the roof vent are adjustable? maybe it has just shifted a little bit over time. F.Y.I. The gap at the top maybe an inch at best and tapers to nothing at the bottom. Just got this unit the 3rd of Jan., so please excuse my ignorance.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I doubt yours has any fasteners on top. That is part of the roll-over kit that Winnebago does along with four bolts behind the fridge --2 ea into the walls on each side.

Hopefully someone who is familiar with how the fridge is secured in your coach will respond.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
sonnyjim welcome to irv2.
If you look at this PDF you will see how your fridge is installed in wall cavity page 23 on down. It may not be your fridge just want to show a installation.
At the top of your fridge at the rear you will see baffles that direct the hot air from your cooling coils up through the roof vent.
If the baffle has fall-in out of position more cold air can come into your living space.
When you look from outside at you fridge you may see insulation on both sides of fridge to stop cold air from entering your living space.
My fridge also has insulation blanket on top of fridge between inside wall and baffle.
Previous owner may have had work done and they never correctly replaced the baffle or any insulation that was in place.
You maybe able to check from your roof vent when you remove it and see whats up if not you may have to pull fridge.
The baffles have to be in place for proper ventilation of your fridge.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The urethane spray foam is great for plugging that sort of hole. Great Stuff is one brand - available at Depot, Lowes, and many hardware stores.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
AND, anytime the frig is using propane (in motion) there is probably carbon monoxide coming in with the cold air. Till fixed, I personally wouldn't drive it around the block
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #9

UPDATE, This is a Dometic double door fridge. Got the mounting screws out, disconnected everything and pulled it out about a foot or so. It was lower on one side so i cut some plastic 18 wheeler mud flap and put it under one side and got it level. We put more insulation around it and reinstalled it. Not only does it look and fit better, it does not leak. All it really needed was some TLC, and it got it. For 15 years old it was still in pretty good shape, no rotton wood ect. Thanks for all the imput..