Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #1

Cold Weather

I have a trip planned up to Salt Lake City area this Thursday. We are going to leave our 2011 Discovery 40X in a campground in the mountains East of Salk Lake City for a few days, possibly a week. I have been thinking of the cold weather possibly freezing some of the water lines. I have seen a water drain under the coach in the dump area, I was also thinking of leaving the heater on to about 60 degrees while gone. Any suggestions?
Mojo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #2

Mojo... most of the coaches are complete with winter package....meaning you have insulation under the water system components too. If you do not.... you can do what I have done to improve my winter all year RV experience...I took a 75w Halogen light fixture and bolted it in place in the area where my piping is closeted and another in the water closet.....this keeps the temperatures high enough to put off freezing in these areas with the existing insulation and air leaks that I worry not on cold nights. But you need be plugged in or genny running to get this heat lamp system to run.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know how high up your going, but the snow line in the Washington Cascades is between 5-6000 feet. I would think there would have to be an awful hard freeze where your parked to cause lines to freeze with temps in the low 20's 24 hours a day? Ask the people at the CG what kind of temps they have been experiencing and even if it hits freezing at night if the day temps are above freezing I think your safe.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You'll probably need to use the LP heater because most RV's are set up to have a vent from the heater in the wet bay to keep things from freezing. Putting a 100 w light bulb or two in the wet bay can also be an insurance to keep things from getting too cold.
Your drain valve is just a start to winterizing, you'd have to drain the water heater, blow out the plumbing with air or pump RV antifreeze into all lines and also fill the traps in all drains to really winterize. Best for a week or two to leave the heat on. If you start with a full LP tank I think you'll be fine. A small electric space heater can also be used in the RV, just make sure it doesn't keep the LP furnace from coming on and heating the wet bay.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #5

Good information folks. I think I will head up to the area with a full tank of propane and possibly a halogen light or two. I do have electrical hookups where I am staying.
Mojo13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather