Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2021, 08:33 AM   #1

Cold weather driving

Fellow Bounders! Just upgraded my rig this summer to a 2017 Bounder 36Y. I am going to be taking a day trip and the temps will be in the 20s in the evening and I will be driving. Do I need to worry about water freezing while I am driving about 2-3 hours? I will keep both furnaces online... tx!

mljuw89
mljuw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 08:55 AM   #2

No. Remember that inanimate objects are not effected by what warm blooded creatures call 'wind chill'. But...it's best that the wet bay doesn't have any big gaps so close or block any holes. Next, water has thermal mass, and it takes a powerful cold for a long while to freeze it. So when traveling in the cold, 1/3 tank or more is best. Next, you can buy gallon jugs of RV antifreeze that you can pour into empty gray and black tanks, drains and the toilet if you wish but I wouldn't unless I was going to park it for days in the cold without heat, next, those tanks are 'freeze resistant' and a thin layer of liquid at the bottom won't harm them, even if it freezes. Same with newer PEX plumbing.

Than, you can turn off the water pump and open the kitchen faucet, then open the low spot drain to get most of the drinking water out of the wet bay (which will be the coldest area) while you are traveling but only bother if it's going to be less the 20 F the entire trip. Close the valve after draining.

So that's it. These things are just preventative and if the temps are above 20 F for the trip, I wouldn't bother as your RV will withstand anything above that for DAYS.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:23 AM   #3

Jim, thanks for the quick response! I had Georgetown class a before this one and never had any issues with cold. I live in WI so winterizing is second hand to me! Going to a football game Sunday and just wanted to sure before I spend the day with some water on board. After this she goes into warm storage!! I always appreciate the willingness to help of folks in these forums!! Thanks!
mljuw89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather