Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #1

Compartment door hinges

own my 1990 pace arrow my door hing has come loose from the compartment. How can I repair it to make it hold. Its my LP storage door right hing.I thought about using some small screws and washers with a nut on the back? do you think that will work? Betty
grits58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Without looking at your door and frame, it is hard to say what is "good enough". You don't want a bandaid approach, that will fail later. If it were me, I would take the coach to a good RV dealer that does body work. Even if you end up fixing it yourself, they would give you an estimate and tell you how they planned to fix it.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #3

If you do decide to fix it yourself, make sure there's room for the screw heads.....is it coming loose on the door, or the flange?......One could pop rivet it to the door or flange
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #4

I would love to take it to a good rv body shop, but unfortunately there is no rv body shop around here. There's camping world, but both times I carried it to camping world they were not able to help me so I stop wasting my time and gas. Next best thing is the forum. I ve gotten more help with you guys then I have anywhere else. The screws has rusted out causing it not to shut profitably. I have a fiberglass body so the holes are there I guess I 'll take the hing off the door and put screws with washer and nuts because there's nothing to screw into. I am open to new IdeasBetty
Old 08-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #5

Well screw with a nut is a NO GO so I put a piece of 3/8 plywood with glue and planning on drilling a couple of holes and put a flat head screw and pray that works. Because I am running out of ideas help!!Betty

Also taking the hing off is a NO GO there put in with rivets.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #6

Can you post a pic?
Old 08-06-2017, 12:37 AM   #7

Fleet wood door hindge

If it is the same style door as my 2006 southwind the hindge is a piano style hindge and should be able to get a new hindge easily I had to replace a door on our coach I popped the door props off to open the door 180 deg and drilled out the rivets quite easily The reinstalation could be a lot trickier. In my case I had to have a new door skin manufactured so I let the body shop do the reinstalation when they painted it. If you wanted to install new hindge yourself I would think it is a two man job but doable. Good luck Seagull
Seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:10 AM   #8

The hing is not the problem its where the hing goes there's nothing to screw into. So I cut a piece of 3/8 wood glue and screw it into the slot the hing came from to have something to bite into and hold the hing in place so far its working so keep praying it holds. The screws rusted out and I couldn't just put new screws in because there was nothing to screw into that would hold the hing in place. Yes seagull my hing is like your's and there stainless steel. Thanks for all y'all help. Bob caldwell I don't know how to post pic, I will try. Betty
Old 08-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #9

is the problem on the coach or the door? If on the coach is the hinge attached to a metal frame or fibreglass ? If metal try filling and fairing with a liquid steel product then re-drill and pop rivet. If fibreglass re glass with appropriate fiver glass product and re drill and pop rivet seagull
Seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #10

this is a pic test
Old 08-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #11

I can't post pictures I tryied don't know how. And the wood didn't work the one side stuck out and I had to take the piece of wood out because I put it to the front and I should have glued it to the back. Anyway its raining right now so I have everything closed up until the rain pass which is going to be a week.. Betty
Old 08-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #12

Do you have a smart phone?
Old 08-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #13

If you do, install Tapatalk.....free app......easy to post pics from it...
Old 08-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #14

Betty, take it to a cabinet shop. A good cabinet maker will repair it right!
Regwal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door