Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2021, 11:40 PM   #1

Considering '06 42R American Tradition- Advice?

Hi All,

I am considering purchasing an '06 American Tradition 42R. Has tag, 400 Cat, 4 slides, 60K on the clock. Garaged and seems to been taken care of. If I am going to be serious, I am going to have it professionally inspected but I am wondering if any of you have any advice of anything specific to look for with this model and year. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Inthe70s is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2021, 05:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
Hi All,

I am considering purchasing an '06 American Tradition 42R. Has tag, 400 Cat, 4 slides, 60K on the clock. Garaged and seems to been taken care of. If I am going to be serious, I am going to have it professionally inspected but I am wondering if any of you have any advice of anything specific to look for with this model and year. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tire dates and inspect air bags for cracking due to age.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
06 Traditions were well built, many on the road today.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:18 PM   #4

Does it have full wall slide out?
timmyzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyzr1 View Post
Does it have full wall slide out?
It has 4 slides but not what I would consider a full wall slide.
Inthe70s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:07 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coaches with FWSs normally have it on the driver's side and two smaller slides on the curb side.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:55 AM   #7

My '07 AT has been a good buy. I had it inspected before purchase by a freightliner repair shop which found $4000 worth of repair issues the seller took care of. Mine of course is on a Spartan chassis but no Spartan repair shops near me.
Since purchase we bought an RV lot in northern MI and have taken it to the Charlotte Spartan factory a couple of times for routine inspections. So far the chassis has been largely trouble free except for the dash air.

The house items are more trouble prone. Being 14 yo it's expected that house items will need attention but probably nor more and maybe less than other brands of motor homes.

My AT was garaged for most of its life and still is. That's a good indicator of how the owner takes care of it. I've had several people ask if it's new.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:01 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
... I've had several people ask if it's new...
One thing AC is noted for is exceptional painting and clear coating. At an AC rally you'll see many 20 year old coaches that look like new.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:27 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
We have an 06 Eagle 42r and love it. These are very well made coaches and we have seen many that are still in great shape. Build quality is very, very good for this year.

We think the 42R is one of the best floor plans; love the opposing sofa's and the large kitchen counter space. Plenty of storage in the coach. Outside storage is good but not great. Shower is great and we actually love the dual sinks. The only negative for the floorplan is the tiny toilet room.

At this point we have a few items needing attention or have already changed out. Our leather furniture still looks like new but the foam is starting to age. Carpet in the drivers side slide and bedroom are harder to clean and would love to replace with wood or tile.

Our AC's have started to fail. Replaced one and 2 others have the pump failing so water pools and will drip in coach instead of running through the hoses and out thru the wet bay. On my list for repair over winter.

These had a RV fridge originally; nice to upgrade to compressor or residential.

We replaced all our slide toppers and awning fabric last year. The probably should have been done sooner but overall they lasted for 15 years.

If you have any questions feel free to pm.

Tags
advice