Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Considering 2008 Discovery 40X For Fulltime Family of 6

Hey Y'all!

First, thank you so much for creating this community of resources. It has already been instrumental for me in finding important information during my quest to find the perfect motorhome for my family and me.

Some quick background: We are a family of six: Wife, Me, boy-9yrs, boy-7yrs, boy-6yrs, boy-5yrs. Our oldest (boy-9yrs) is my stepson, who is with us for roughly 1/2 the year. My wife and I have been discussing our ambitions to travel the US with our kids someday, visiting all the states and exposing them to different cultures and experiences. Between our kids just entering the world and my two businesses, we haven't been able to make it happen until this year. With the youngest growing to the age where he's more aware of things around him (and admittedly needs less micro-management), and my businesses being in a position for me to realistically work remotely, we're finally looking to begin chasing this goal of ours.

I've decided on a Motorhome instead of a truck/trailer combo after considering a few factors:
  1. A motorhome is entirely self-contained with all the resources it needs inside it to act as a functioning home. With kids, I really need our living quarters to be our "home base" and self-sufficient center of safety.
  2. Easier setup and tear down.
  3. More comfortable traveling (access to the lavatory, kitchen, beds, TV, etc.).
  4. We will be bringing along our AWD Toyota Sienna as it fits all of us in it (A truck would be a tight squeeze for 6, and they're bulky and inefficient to commute around in).
  5. There are entire communities of people around Motorhome brands.

So, I started looking around at Monocos, Fleetwoods, Georgetown's, Thor's for a motorhome that's large enough to comfortably fit us all. I'm also very averse to buying anything new for a few reasons:
  1. The depreciation and loss after buying new is nauseating. I don't want to spend more than about $60-80K on the motorhome + any updates or modifications deemed required.
  2. I like that someone else has bugged out the unit before me. Additionally, buying an older model means some people have had them for years, and they share their knowledge, giving me the untapped ability to learn reliable information fast.
  3. As an engineer by training, I am handy with all factors of mechanics (not tear down an Allison handy, but can easily change oil or R&R a water heater).
  4. Our kids can be hard on things, so a shiny new unit would be wasted on us.
  5. The floor plans of new ones (even bunkhouses) aren't ideal for us. I can buy an older one and do some remodel work inside to make it custom for us.

The result is I am in the final considerations of purchasing the following:

2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X - 80K Miles - $59.5K

I like this model because it has a big following of people who love them. It's also built on a drive train and chassis that seems to have a very reliable reputation and is prevalent enough that finding parts to fix things shouldn't be a significant hassle. This will be my first experience with an RV, so a community of people who know the specific make/model of what I'm living in is essential. This forum has already yielded some fantastic insight and wisdom into this particular unit not found with the other brands I've shopped.

Here's the rundown of this unit:
  1. So far, the unit seems in decent shape. It lacks history on maintenance as it was owned by a good ole boy that claims to have done the maintenance himself. No reason not to believe him, but he also didn't keep very decent records of when he performed work.
  2. It has had a full run-through by a local RV dealer and mechanic. They all attest to its working state. It does run well; no odd sounds, feelings in the operational mechanics, or otherwise that would kick alarm bells in this engineer's head.
  3. The interior is a little worn. I am meticulous, so it's probably more of an issue to my taste personally, but the carpet is stained in a few areas, and the tile/laminate flooring is well worn. A new interior deck is in order, which I am unafraid of doing.
  4. For the most part, all the mechanics seem in order, and most of what needs to be done to make me happy are cosmetic. Some of it a bit of work (like the floor), but still cosmetic.

I plan to take it to a certified Freightliner/Cummins service center and have them do a run-through and send off fluid samples for testing.

If all comes back well from them, I think this is a good deal on this unit at ~$60K.

My question to this forum community as I seek to become a contributing member myself is:

What do you think about this, and what am I possibly missing? Additionally, if you concur with my assessment of its value, what nuances, updates, or other things do you think I should do to ensure the unit is ready for a full-time family of 6?

I plan to finalize the purchase by month's end if all my testing and evaluation goes well. I then have a planned 3 months or so to do a light update/refurbish to make it ready before the earliest date of occupation. My out the gate list of todo's includes:
  1. Full floor redo, front to back (we're thinking scratch resistant wood laminate in the spill areas and a hardy Berber type carpet for the living and bedroom.)
  2. Tech update. I work in tech, so this thing will get a full run-up of new screens, built-in connectivity (LTE, WIFI + SAT for backup). It's essential to work remotely every day, and the kids will be in online learning courses. I'm thinking of using the same type of gear we designed around before at my office for ultra remote connectivity in the marine industry.
  3. While the floor is torn apart and the unit is partially gutted for it, I may run some ethernet for a perimeter video security system around the exterior of the bus.
  4. Tankless water heater upgrade (6 back to back showers a day).
  5. Washer/Dryer combo install (Vented)
  6. Fixture replacement (shower and sinks).
  7. Seals and edges redone where needed.

I'm sure there will be more, but it's early so I'm only estimating at a high level.

What does every think?
FnkySoupBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #2

First thing welcome to the group.

Fleetwood Discovery - nice unit for sure.

Floor redo no big deal but for me the less carpet the better. Sand and dirt gets dragged in a lot more then you would think. A good waterproof vinyl flooring is my choice.

WIFI on the road is not as easy as you might think. You can get it but it's not always great.

Cat 5 wiring is not big deal when the floor is out or it can be run under the coach and up through the floor.

Tankless water heater, (6 back to back showers), lots of water and depending on if the heater is gas lots of propane, the electric ones don't product as much GPH of hot water as gas. I have a 10 gallon electric that came with the unit, not tankless, and can take 2 showers 15-20 mins. apart no problem.

The little combo washer and dryer is great for size but the dryers are a joke, clothes never get dry. Full size is better but 240V electric would be necessary to operate a proper dryer. Typically not in a coach but can be modified to work.

How about the tires, check date codes on them, no more then 5-7 years old. Very expensive to replace tires.

And don't think that just because someone has "bugged it out" before you that you won't have problems. Motor homes are in constant need of something.

But don't let me put a damper on you plans. I have a 1991 American Eagle that I've had for 3+ years. We love it and try to use at least once a month for a getaway. It was in great shape when I got it. But I've spent a lot of time and money to make it the way I want it.

MY 2 CENTS WORTH. Good luck.
mike91eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The price seems like almost an auction type price compared to other similar units.
Unless the seller is a relative I'd be surprised if they're going to be super receptive to you picking it up to have it inspected/fluids pulled. If you are able to get it before someone else at least you would have some wiggle room to repair and still be ok as far as total spent.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike91eagle View Post
First thing welcome to the group.

Fleetwood Discovery - nice unit for sure.

Floor redo no big deal but for me the less carpet the better. Sand and dirt gets dragged in a lot more then you would think. A good waterproof vinyl flooring is my choice.

WIFI on the road is not as easy as you might think. You can get it but it's not always great.

Cat 5 wiring is not big deal when the floor is out or it can be run under the coach and up through the floor.

Tankless water heater, (6 back to back showers), lots of water and depending on if the heater is gas lots of propane, the electric ones don't product as much GPH of hot water as gas. I have a 10 gallon electric that came with the unit, not tankless, and can take 2 showers 15-20 mins. apart no problem.

The little combo washer and dryer is great for size but the dryers are a joke, clothes never get dry. Full size is better but 240V electric would be necessary to operate a proper dryer. Typically not in a coach but can be modified to work.

How about the tires, check date codes on them, no more then 5-7 years old. Very expensive to replace tires.

And don't think that just because someone has "bugged it out" before you that you won't have problems. Motor homes are in constant need of something.

But don't let me put a damper on you plans. I have a 1991 American Eagle that I've had for 3+ years. We love it and try to use at least once a month for a getaway. It was in great shape when I got it. But I've spent a lot of time and money to make it the way I want it.

MY 2 CENTS WORTH. Good luck.
I agree with the flooring. We're thinking hardwood up to the step-up to the back bedroom and carpet in the bedroom. The trades for carpet are noise and insulation related. Kids are LOUD... So a hard floor can be annoying. Still some time to decide for sure I suppose.

I know all about the WIFI issues on the road. One of my companies specializes in RF & Fiber optic-based communications (satellite, fixed wireless, cell pattern, etc) in the broadband delivery sections. I expect to lean heavily on a couple of the engineers in our project design department.

I've read quite a bit on the tankless so far and your opinion is totally corroborated. I have more research to do on it, but I do know that when we switched over our house the impact on daily life was tremendously improved on many fronts. Energy use as well. I'll be digging in more as I know the circumstances in an RV are obviously totally different.

Combo washer/dryers that are ventless seem to be where all the hate is. I've read the trick is to install one that vents. Given the location where the W/D hookups are pre-plumbed us on an exterior wall, I thought a vented one may be the ticket. We don't expect to push big things through it, it would just be nice to be able to wash rags, morning PJ's and some of the lighter loads. Big things like sheets and jeans would be done at a mat.

The tires are 6 years old. I've already commented about their age and the consensus of them needing to be replaced. $3k expense right out the gate. It's what's helping drive the price down a bit on the unit.

I have no illusions about the amount of upkeep required on these things for sure. haha. But I do hope that given its age and use, most of the quirky bugs have been seen and either patched or addressed (mechanically that is). But I know it's not something to lean on... stuff breaks.

Thanks for the pointers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
The price seems like almost an auction type price compared to other similar units.
Unless the seller is a relative I'd be surprised if they're going to be super receptive to you picking it up to have it inspected/fluids pulled. If you are able to get it before someone else at least you would have some wiggle room to repair and still be ok as far as total spent.
Your position is spot on. The price is great and is why I'm tolerating some of the cosmetic stuff. I opened my conversations setting the expectation that it'll need to be mechanically inspected the way I want (at my expense once we reach a mutual financial agreement). I would not buy one of these without this being done. From my understanding, the "edge", if there is any, is that its age puts it out of consideration for traditional financing, so the market for it is Cash Only and that's been a struggle for a ~$60k pricetag. The unit has been sitting for sale for over a year because of this. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about that.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:06 PM   #5

Not sure about the dryer vent thing. Mine is vented and still won't dry clothes, even a small amount. Washes great the the mat is the only way for the dryer.
mike91eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike91eagle View Post
Not sure about the dryer vent thing. Mine is vented and still won't dry clothes, even a small amount. Washes great the the mat is the only way for the dryer.
That's good to know. I've thought a little about trying to do a stacked unit, but as you mentioned before the power requirements make engineering a reliable way to do that difficult. I'm gonna dig in a bit more.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We love our 40X 2007. We've had Classic Coach Works in Ormond Beach Fla do considerable inside work and are delighted with them. LOVE our 40X!

BUT, we (2) are full timers and I don't know how I could full time 6 folks in it. There are only 2 beds (and 1 is a sofa). Where do you put all their stuff? I'm not sure I've seen any Class A's that could do that but there probably are some. 6 folks is Fifth Wheel territory IMHO.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:20 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FnkySoupBone View Post
That's good to know. I've thought a little about trying to do a stacked unit, but as you mentioned before the power requirements make engineering a reliable way to do that difficult. I'm gonna dig in a bit more.

Thanks.
Not sure the comment on the vented dryer not working well. We have a Splendide in our 2008 Bounder and it works GREAT.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:15 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgique View Post
We love our 40X 2007. We've had Classic Coach Works in Ormond Beach Fla do considerable inside work and are delighted with them. LOVE our 40X!

BUT, we (2) are full timers and I don't know how I could full time 6 folks in it. There are only 2 beds (and 1 is a sofa). Where do you put all their stuff? I'm not sure I've seen any Class A's that could do that but there probably are some. 6 folks is Fifth Wheel territory IMHO.
Oh, there a quite a few folks that do it with multiple kids (link below to poke your curiosity if you haven't seen it). A lot of them are in shorter bounder models, and you're right a lot more are in 5th Wheels. I just don't want to drag a trailer and, from what I've seen, the trailers are not built as well.

There are usually 3 places in the kitchen areas to sort out sleeping solutions in all the motorhomes we've looked at (ignoring the newer ones having a lowered bed potion above the two front seats). In the one we're looking at, there's a pull-out sofa, an area that currently has 2 lazy boy chairs (about the same width combined as the sofa), and the convertible dinette. Our kids are still elementary size and we can be creative in figuring out smaller sleeping spaces (sofa's that convert into bunks or a simple single size sofa bed with a trundle underneath). The idea at the moment is to do two sofa's that convert to 2-bunks each in the places where the current sofa and chairs are.

Example Sofas: https://weburbanist.com/2014/10/02/s...ds-in-seconds/

Fulltime Family Group: https://www.fulltimefamilies.com/

As for space for stuff, that's a combination of minimal lifestyles and all that storage underneath the coach (which the 40X has in spades).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
Not sure the comment on the vented dryer not working well. We have a Splendide in our 2008 Bounder and it works GREAT.
The Splendide do have a great rating on Amazon. Another model that has decent reviews are the ones by LG, but they're ventless... Our current W/D in our house are LG's so I have some loyalty. I assume yours is vented then? Do you know what model it is?
Old 01-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FnkySoupBone View Post
The Splendide do have a great rating on Amazon. Another model that has decent reviews are the ones by LG, but they're ventless... Our current W/D in our house are LG's so I have some loyalty. I assume yours is vented then? Do you know what model it is?
Oh yes...I assume we were talking vented models...and yes it is. The Splendide 2100XC model vented. We use it quite a bit....at least a couple of times every trip. We do take out the clothes after wash...fluff them up and put back for drying. Less wrinkles.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:33 PM   #11

Nice choice in RV.

Would suggest ditching the Splendid washer dryer combo. they are all only 2.5 cu ft. units.

You want the [new] 4.5 cu ft LG washer /dryer combo. LG 4,5 cu ft

Installing this unit in the Bounder after remodel with dedicated drain to outside.

Only bitch is you have to pop a windshield to get it in the rig.

So we are doing the

Fridge- Samsung RF22, only difference between RF 18 and RF 22 is the thickness of the doors that gives you 2 more cu ft.,,, it fits.
couch
LG washer dryer

In one windshield pop/re-install.

Already replaced Sharp Micro with Breville Air fry, best thing I ever did
Old 01-09-2021, 08:02 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
Nice choice in RV.

Would suggest ditching the Splendid washer dryer combo. they are all only 2.5 cu ft. units.

You want the [new] 4.5 cu ft LG washer /dryer combo. LG 4,5 cu ft

Installing this unit in the Bounder after remodel with dedicated drain to outside.

Only bitch is you have to pop a windshield to get it in the rig.

So we are doing the

Fridge- Samsung RF22, only difference between RF 18 and RF 22 is the thickness of the doors that gives you 2 more cu ft.,,, it fits.
couch
LG washer dryer

In one windshield pop/re-install.

Already replaced Sharp Micro with Breville Air fry, best thing I ever did
Yeah, I was scratching my head a little walking the thing thinking: how the heck am I going to get the couches in here, let alone if I want to R&R any appliance or something else big.

Windshield pop makes sense. What is the cost for you to do that?

Are you or have you swapped any of the other appliances (stove, microwave, etc)? I was thinking about doing the fridge sooner than later with our 4-boys we're karting around.

The existing fridge can run on propane as well as electric. If I swap it for a res they're 110v only right? Any real positives to having the dual function of the original that may be missed?
Old 01-09-2021, 08:56 PM   #13

A propane fridge can take you out back. But you are going to run out of water before, but the limit on other resources is going to determine future.

With 4 kids, you are going to run out of water first, that will drive you to refresh resources & dump.

Your going to run out of water,,,, before you run out of energy.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
A propane fridge can take you out back. But you are going to run out of water before, but the limit on other resources is going to determine future.

With 4 kids, you are going to run out of water first, that will drive you to refresh resources & dump.

Your going to run out of water,,,, before you run out of energy.
Ahh.. ya. Duh. I've been knee-deep in electrical/gas systems for the last day or two, I didn't think the restraint on off-grid resources would be water first. Good call.

Tags
cover, discovery, fulltime