Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 09:47 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Considering a 2003 Fleetwood Revolution 40C

Hello everyone,
My wife and I have been looking to upgrade from our current 26Ft Fleetwood Jamboree Class C to a class A and the other day we went to look at a Tiffin that was nice but there were a couple of issues we didn't like so that's not the one for us. However, the seller also had a 2003 Revolution 40C that we looked at and it is very nice. Of course, my wife is not crazy about the exterior colors because it is mostly dark brown but she loves the interior. The seller still has a few things he is doing to get it ready for sale like changing the original TVs to smart TVs and a couple of other minor things. We did not start or drive it while we were there but we may go back to take a closer look. What are some things we should look for? Another thing is the size, we did not think we would be looking at a 40 footer. Will we have problems getting into campgrounds?
Thanks for your input.

Casey
CLKimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKimmel View Post
Hello everyone,

My wife and I have been looking to upgrade from our current 26Ft Fleetwood Jamboree Class C to a class A and the other day we went to look at a Tiffin that was nice but there were a couple of issues we didn't like so that's not the one for us. However, the seller also had a 2003 Revolution 40C that we looked at and it is very nice. Of course, my wife is not crazy about the exterior colors because it is mostly dark brown but she loves the interior. The seller still has a few things he is doing to get it ready for sale like changing the original TVs to smart TVs and a couple of other minor things. We did not start or drive it while we were there but we may go back to take a closer look. What are some things we should look for? Another thing is the size, we did not think we would be looking at a 40 footer. Will we have problems getting into campgrounds?

Thanks for your input.

Casey

I still like our 2007 the only problem I’m having are the air bags have started to crack and there are absolutely no replacements in the United States at this time.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #3

You can always get a full body paint job in Mexico for $4000 or so. And then, you live inside so it's much more important that you like the insides then the outsides anyway.

These days, with so many RV parks putting in 'pull though' sites, I wouldn't worry about length that much. You will pay a bit more than someone with a 20 footer at older parks, but don't worry about that too much.

As far as the mechanicals, you can hire an expert to check it for you. Cost for a 40 foot Diesel would likely be in the $400-$600 range. Be sure they have the certification. But it's worth it if they approve the engine and tranni. Huge expense if those are in bad shape.

Of course if you're a wrencher, check for water in oil and oil in water everywhere. Everything else is simple and relatively inexpensive in my book. After 17 years of full timing, I keep an over $10K emergency repair fund. 'Cus you never know. Don't bother with Service Contracts (often called extended warranties but they aren't), few ever get their money back in claims. Just open a repair bank account and self insure. Back when I was accumulating my repair fund, I was putting $175/month in it, and that barely exceeded what I was paying for upkeep and maintenance. Whoa! But it's true. Still paying $212/month for upkeep. This is not an inexpensive hobby. But to me, it's a lifestyle.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #4

I've owned a 2003 40C for about 2 years now. It was well maintained and I've been very pleased with it. I presume it has a Cummins 8.3 ISC, my understanding was that was the only engine available on the 2003 Revolution, although there is one listed on Ebay that says it has a CAT. so who knows. The side radiator allows better access to the engine so that's a plus in my mind. Freightliner chassis means pretty good support if you had an issue. If it has the original Norcold refrigerator that may be about due for a replacement. I've had some peeling paint on the exterior slide trim moldings, it seems like maybe the trim pieces were not properly primed. Wouldn't be a huge deal to touch-up and is on my list to do. Generator access is a little limited. The Revolution was produced in the American Coach factory even though it was branded as a Fleetwood product at that time. I previously owned a 2002 Holiday Rambler Endeavor and feel like the Revolution compares very favorably to it. Hope this helps some.

Tags
fleetwood, revolution