RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #1

Considering a 2013 Discovery 40G

I'm considering the purchase of a 2013 Discovery 40G. Everything I've read indicates nothing but positive feelings. Can you add anything that I should be aware of?
Bob Romine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2019, 11:12 PM   #2

Is this your first rv or first dp ? Finding a good price is a good start but being mechanically handy and having a bit of a $$$ savings is a must for maintenance and repairs. I have a diesel Bounder at the present, but had a Discovery in the past. They both suit our needs (pocket book).
Fleetwood has always been very supportive to us. Had 3 of their motorhomes since mid 80ís.
Great travels.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajfish View Post
Is this your first rv or first dp ? Finding a good price is a good start but being mechanically handy and having a bit of a $$$ savings is a must for maintenance and repairs. I have a diesel Bounder at the present, but had a Discovery in the past. They both suit our needs (pocket book).
Fleetwood has always been very supportive to us. Had 3 of their motorhomes since mid 80ís.
Great travels.
Thanks for your input! I've had two class A's in the past, and two trailers. I can fix most stuff, except electrical. I'm looking for quality. As long as the coach is quality, I'm ok with fixing the smaller things. Do you feel like Discovery is a quality coach?
Old 11-25-2019, 04:41 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Got a 15 Discovery. Major systems have been reliable. But too many minor (fixable) problems. Built in Aug heat....
Old 11-25-2019, 05:41 AM   #5

Your '13 Discovery should give you good service provided the previous owner did the routine maintenance. The chassis and drive train are built to last and will if properly maintained, but the house stuff not so much. At nearly 6 years old, in the coming years you can expect to repair air conditioner, steps, furnace, replace tires, replace batteries, and a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now.

But this is true of any motor home. If you like the floor plan and the coach passes inspection, you've done you're due diligence.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #6

Thanks! Would you buy another one knowing what you know now?
Old 11-26-2019, 01:25 AM   #7

I have been coast to coast and Canada and Mexico driving these Fleetwoods. In my opinion they are as good as any of the rest with the Freightliner chassis under them. Maintenance is key just like any vehicle. It would be good to brush up on the electrical and learn to use some basic trouble shooting tools like multitester (volt/ohm meter).
I am sure you can get more expensive interiors but it depends on your use. Are you going full time or ę*camping*Ľ. I just helped a gentleman and his wife get back on track the other day. Heard them banging around in the dark and checked on them, no a/c, no 120 volt. Turned out I had the same problem in the past and found the converter/inverter and reset it for them. Just saying I was in my 2007 Fleetwood, they were in their new $500,000 RV. These rvs are pretty much the same. I would buy another Fleetwood.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #8

Lucky you were there for them. We will be full timing. Thanks for the advise; I will follow-up on your suggestion.

Tags
cover, discovery