Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #1

Contemplating a 2000 American Dream, any advice on known problems I should look for

Hi
I am looking at a 2000 American Dream with 325 Cummins 1 slide.
Does anyone have experience with this coach?
Any known faults I should get checked.
Any info appreciated.
Auzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A buddy of mine bought one new and still has it. Very nice coach (I have an '04 American Tradition myself). Check the sidewalls for possible tiny checkings (subsurface cracks in the finish), which was a problem on some darker colors. It's a cosmetic problem only if present. If not, either it never had the problem or Fleetwood refinished it under warranty. In either case, no worries.

The front ball joints will need replacing if the mileage is high enough - maybe 100k+? That's probably not unique to this model, though. The Spartan IFS seems to last about that long and need some work.

Check the tire date codes on any older coach - make sure they are not dying of old age while the tread still looks good. About 7 years is my max, but some people say 5 years while others may gamble trying to get near 10 years.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #3

Thanks Gary.
Is the crazing you speak of a FG fault? Was it peculiar to any year?
The Units I am looking at are 2000 and 1999.
You speak of "Ball Joints" are these chassis not beam axle? If they are then they have kingpins no ball joints , maybe the later models had independent front ends ??
One unit has 56k miles the other has 63k. King pins are a bit of a job , you need reamers etc, but if greased will last well.
Did they ever come with Cat diesels ? I nderstand the Alison 6 speed is pretty bullet proof, fair comment?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The 2000 Dream had an IFS. It's on the Spartan Mountain Master GT chassis. Not sure about a 99. You can download the 2000 Dream brochure here:

http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/frvlibrar.../2000_ad_b.pdf

FG fault??? Fiberglass? Yes - Several RV manufacturers had a fiberglass checking problem starting around that time and continuing for 6-7 years until their composite supplier (an Owens-Corning subsidiary) finally came up with a new skin compound that held up. It affected dark colors mostly and rigs that got a lot of sun, but was not consistent with all coahces. I think nobody really knows what caused it. My '04 has just started to develop a slight case on the black areas, but you have to be very close (2 feet) and in bright sunlight to see it. From 5 feet away you would never know, so I'm not worrying. My buddy had his 2000 ground down and re-painted - it showed up early so Fleetwood did it under warranty.

Cat diesels were offered for a year or so - I think it was '05. No advantage over Cummins that I can see. I'm very happy with my Cummins ISL. Most Dreams has the ISC 330, but the 350 ISC was optional.

The Allison is terrific. About the only thing that ever bothers it are electrical problems to its controller, e.g. a bad ground or something like that.

You should get involved in the American Coach Owners group on Yahoo. It's an incredible resource for AC owners.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #5

Thanks again Garry.
I just learnt something, I didnt know RVs had independent frent ends that early. I asked the dealers selling both the units and they had no idea. Some of these guys really know all about what they are selling "Not"
Just as well I found this site, and you.
Do the standard shockers do the job? or do they wallow?
I will be towing a 20ft enclosed car trailer with a Chrysler PT(3222lbs) and a Motor cycle of (500lbs) Trailer weight (3040) plus say 150lbs of odds and sods, the 300 Cummins should do this I think any thoughts?
Thanks again for your info, I will check out the site you suggest
Old 01-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Standard shocks should be fine - it's the air suspension that keeps things stable.

The Cummins ISC (330 hp, 1000 lb-ft of torque) will tow 7000 lb fine, but you won't be racing up any mountains.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #7

I have a 98 Eagle that rides on the same chassis as the 2000 and 99 Dream.

You will love the IFS, you will not even feel the semi's when they pass you or when you pass them.

My engine is the C8.3, predecessor to the ISC (mechanical 12 valve vs. electronic 24 valve. This is a great engine when mated to the Allison 3060. Plenty of power for me although I do not tow.

American Coach did an outstanding job of engineering these coaches. Good choice IMHO as they are still "head turners" when you are rolling down the road or parked.

Ball Joints are the only issue that I am aware of. Mine are still fine at 66K miles.

Dave
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #8

Thanks guys for the info.
Much appreciated.
Are the ball joints greaseable, or those sealed ones. An old farmer is not happy unless he can grease things!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzi View Post
Thanks guys for the info.
Much appreciated.
Are the ball joints greaseable, or those sealed ones. An old farmer is not happy unless he can grease things!

That is the problem, they are "lubed for life" and it does not work out. The replacement ball joints are the same. Some owners have installed their own zerks to allow them to be lubed.

If you go to the Spartan Chassis section of this forum you can read all about it.

Dave
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzi View Post
Thanks Gary.
Is the crazing you speak of a FG fault? Was it peculiar to any year?
The Units I am looking at are 2000 and 1999.
You speak of "Ball Joints" are these chassis not beam axle? If they are then they have kingpins no ball joints , maybe the later models had independent front ends ??
One unit has 56k miles the other has 63k. King pins are a bit of a job , you need reamers etc, but if greased will last well.
Did they ever come with Cat diesels ? I nderstand the Alison 6 speed is pretty bullet proof, fair comment?
Be sure to take the weight off of KINK PINS to properly grease. Grease will not move completely thru if not.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote