Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2020, 10:15 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Control box smoking - Power Plus Levelers

My '98 Flair 25y has the original mechanical/electrical leveler jacks--Power+Plus by Mechanical Systems, Inc., Fort Wayne, IN. I don't think they are still in business.

Have had an issue with one rear jack since we bought this MH four years ago. Apparently, the previous owner had the jack extended and couldn't get it to raise so he pulled forward until the weld that was holding the steel mounting plate to the frame rail broke and he was able to throw the jack into a storage compartment and left it. I've since re-welded the mounting plate to the frame and mounted the jack but haven't worried about it nor used it since. That's a job for another day.

My CURRENT ISSUE, though, is more urgent.

While raising the front end, there was a wisp of smoke from behind the control box. Luckily, my wife was at the control and noticed it right away. (She's younger and prettier than me and also has a sharper sense of smell). Trying it myself, while she supervised, I determined it was only the left jack that was causing the smoke. The longer I tried to extend the jack the more smoke.

My driveway dips down quite a bit and in order to get the MH level, the front jacks have to be extended to very close to their limits. This is the first time in the four years that we've owned her that I've had a problem.

Since I was getting the MH ready for possible quarantine use by one of our daughters, my priority was to get it level and worry about the issue later. (Fortunately, our daughter tested negative).

I used my floor jack to take some weight off the left front until the jack was clear of the ground, then ran it down again until it made contact. If I tried to power it down to the point it was actually lifting, the smoke came back.

Since then, I have lowered the MH back to the ground (no smoke) and my daughter and family are currently on a short weekend outing with it. They reported that it leveled fine on the concrete pad at the CG, and no smoke. I did advise my SIL to only lower it enough to get level and stable rather than try lifting it.

I have not removed the control unit so I have no idea what the rear of the box even looks like. Thought I would do some research first.

So there you have it. Apologies for being so long-winded. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas (short of letting her burn), appreciated. And so you know, I may nor may not be back to this post in the next day or so but this is not a "one and done" as all of us have seen on this forum and others. Thanks in advance for your insight.

Stay safe and healthy.

Guy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2020, 06:52 AM   #2

#1 I never fully extend my jacks . I put enough wood under them so they only have to life about 1/2 way. Check over left front jack also it may have a slight bend in it . You did say he drove away with a jack down , maybe it was 2.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #3

If smoke is coming out of the relays at the control panel, your overheating them. STOP doing that.

See if there are lubrication points on the jacks themselves. If they are electro/mechanical jacks, there are gears and bushings in them that will need lube. If the gears and bushings are dry, the motor will strain under load. A straining motor will draw more amps and overheat electrical switching components.

Its like the old saying, grease the squeaky wheel.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:23 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
cwit,

Both front jacks have worked flawlessly since I've owned her--until now. I like the idea of adding wood. Been concentrating on other aspects of life for a few days. Back at it on Monday.

twinboat,

That's on my to-do list for tomorrow (Monday).

Thanks to both of you for your input. Stay safe.

Guy
Old 05-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
UPDATE:

Don't want anyone to think I'm a post-it-and-forget-it kind of "guy." In a word--weather has kept me away from doing much of anything outside.

Guy

Tags
power, levelers