Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #1

Convert Washer/dryer space to storage space

My husband and I have a 2003 39S Discovery. After we purchased the coach, we discovered that the washer/dryer combo didn't work. Instead of fixing it, we've decided that we'd rather convert the space to have more drawers which this coach sadly lacks in the bedroom. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I've found some perfectly sized prebuilt drawers to put in the "hole" but we aren't sure if it's safe to screw a strip of wood down the outer (or left) wall to attach the drawer sliders to. The inner wall isn't a problem because there is already a strip in the middle.
Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.
Neeny
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The wall are roughly 2" thick so a short screw won't penetrate all the way through but the interior walls are so thin that they won't support much weight. I would think a construction adhesive like liquid nails might work better for attaching your wood strips.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Removing Washer/Dryer Combo

I have been toying with the same idea for our 2008 Expedition. We aren't full timers and have never used it. Would love the storage for when Grandkids come with us for their bags and shoes.
Did you have any difficulty removing it?
Betsi
Old 01-08-2020, 11:08 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did this in a 98 Pace Arrow. Had to remove the cabinet front to get out the washer/dryer. Glued wood frames on both sides inside the cabinet and built sliding shelves with low sides to fit inside. Learned that glue doesn't always hold the framing in place, ended up with a warped shelf (held the heavy pots and pans).

Also part of project: capping off water supply (no valves) and drain lines, and closing off dryer vent to keep out cold air.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:54 AM   #5

Sorry to hear that your w/d dosn't work. I have a 98 Discovery and use the machine to do my washing and then dry in the laundry, could not be happier with the machine and it has never gave me any trouble.
Salmon Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #6

dryer removal

Oh it was fun getting that bad boy out. Heavy as all get out as there were two cement blocks in the bottom. It is definitely a two man job. It's also a really good idea to remove the doors on the front before you attempt to wrestle it out. One of mine got cracked and I'm hoping it can be repaired.
I'd like to attach a photo of what it looks like now, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.
I'll keep you posted. I'll use the idea of using an adhesive to assist the screws.

Thanks
Neeny
Old 01-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
You might consider wire baskets instead of regular drawers. They weigh a lot less and since you have a closet door, they would not show.

There are different types...

Big Bertha - 2003 Bounder 35R
mttop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, storage