Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Cord replacement on shades

Three of the five shades on my 2001 Bounder don't open without a lot of struggle. I'm assuming this means they need to have new cords. Anything special I need to know about purchasing cord? I found some repair kits specifically for RVs. The price seems excessive but if that's the best thing, I'll get it. Also found 100 yards of a .9mm but not at all sure it is the right size. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DMTFKYG...ing=UTF8&psc=1

What has your experience taught you about this matter?

I'm fine with the shades (style/color). They are only slightly damaged from being pulled and a complete replacement seems wasteful.

Thanks!
WriteOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #2

I had some trouble with the day/night shades in our 5ver. Sent them back to the mfgr, for a very small fee, they restrung the shades. Works for me, I don't have to try to figure out all those videos on restringing DIY. Can't remember the mfg, but might be worth a call if you know who made yours.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought the kit and found it was an easy repair. When I first re-hung them, I made the strings to the tie down to tight, and found them hard to operate. I loosened the tension some, and they worked great. Could your strings be too tight?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used silicon di-electric grease to lube the strings. (The same stuff you use on spark plug rubbers) BIG difference..

Put the shades all the way up.

Put a small dab of silicon paste on your fingers and wipe the strings with it.

Slide the shades up and down a couple times, and re-apply grease.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Hmmm. Maybe so. One has a broken string. But maybe the previous owner messed with the other two and they just need to be loosed. Thanks for the idea. Want to have anything I might need before I start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
...Could your strings be too tight?
Old 12-29-2017, 10:32 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Interesting! Does the product function more like a wax than as a grease that will soak into and stain the fabric shade? I'll look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I used silicon di-electric grease to lube the strings. (The same stuff you use on spark plug rubbers) BIG difference..

Put the shades all the way up.

Put a small dab of silicon paste on your fingers and wipe the strings with it.

Slide the shades up and down a couple times, and re-apply grease.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Does the product function more like a wax than as a grease that will soak into and stain the fabric shade?
More like a wax.. wipe a tiny bit on the string, it shouldn't get on the shade fabric..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteOn View Post
Three of the five shades on my 2001 Bounder don't open without a lot of struggle. I'm assuming this means they need to have new cords. Anything special I need to know about purchasing cord? I found some repair kits specifically for RVs. The price seems excessive but if that's the best thing, I'll get it. Also found 100 yards of a .9mm but not at all sure it is the right size. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DMTFKYG...ing=UTF8&psc=1

What has your experience taught you about this matter?

I'm fine with the shades (style/color). They are only slightly damaged from being pulled and a complete replacement seems wasteful.

Thanks!
I believe you have day/night shades?

A few videos for your viewing pleasure on youtube....

Easy job, the hardest part was removing the blind....

Old 01-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I solved a similar situation by replacing all of my old shades with roller shades. Gave the inside of the coach a fresh new look and work so much easier! Something to consider.
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:19 AM   #10

Strings

Wife and I taught ourselves to replace the strings while in Collier Seminole state park in Florida years ago. I figured what the heck I've got nothing else to do. Purchased the kits in Camping World. The first one laying on the picnic table had us wondering if we made a mistake. Turns out to be EASY though you might be nervous at first. Do it yourself.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement