Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #1

Couch Replacement

I have a new to me (2 weeks) 2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W with a Workhorse engine.

I want to replace (well, the wife wants me to replace) the hide abed couch. I have not found the answers for these questions yet.

1. How do I secure the couch to the slide? Is there a way to access under the sub-floor that I assume I bolt the bed to?
2. Do the couches come with seat belts that are already attached or do I somehow remove the seat belts from the current couch and bolt them to the bed or floor?

Finally, in the next 6 months I want to replace the carpet. Would you recommend pulling the dinnet at the same time to replace the carpet right away since I am already removing the couch or is the process pretty simply to remove the couch?

Thanks!
BTW, I am a newbe when it comes to the Class A lifestyle!

Scot
Scott6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2022, 09:50 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

A " Honey Do List " such fun .

I believe you'll find the hid-a-bed is lag bolted to the slide floor and the seat belts are separate ( bolted through the slide frame ).
DO NOT USE longer lag bolts to secure the new couch .

If your replacing carpet ( as I'm doing shortly ) plan way ahead , and do all the interior projects that require furniture moving; to work on the floor; at the same time .
You don't want to be hauling furniture around more than once.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6601 View Post
I have a new to me (2 weeks) 2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W with a Workhorse engine.
Scot
Scot ; just a slight correction .
Your Bounder 32W ; is on a Workhorse chassis ; Workhorse didn't build their own engines .
I'll assume the chassis is a W-22 ( 22,000 lbs. GVWR )
Then engine is manufactured by GM ( 8.1L )and the transmission is an Allison 1000 series .
Old 05-19-2022, 10:20 AM   #4

RV couches have metal frames that are bolted to the floor. Depends on manufacturer how they attach it to the slide out or to the non-slide out floor. Most often it's a 1/2" bolt from underneath up into the room, giant washers here and there, a jam nut to hold it (or it's welded to stop it from spinning or loosening up and dropping down into the slide mechanism) and the couch sits over the bolts and the bolts pass through the frame of the couch and receive more washers and nuts to hold it in place.

Or the bolts pass from the frame of the couch into the floor where welded bolts are waiting in perfect alignment. Sort of. Really depends. This is how mine was installed, the bolts are welded to the frame under the slide, and the couch is positioned over them and the bolts dropped down through the frame of the couch into the floor. So when I removed them, and removed the electric couch/bed/lounger can't see the holes for the carpet. Couch is for sale BTW.

The reason the frames are metal, and things like couches and chairs are bolted to the floor is because in an accident and roll over, you don't want heavy items rolling around the inside of the RV injuring people.

As far as the dinette goes, I'd just leave it in place and cut the carpet from around it. Just to make the job easier and less complicated.

I have left the seat belts that attach to the slide under and behind the couch in place for now. Those bolts come up from underneath. If I get around to it, I'll hacksaw them off flush with the floor...after the carpet around them is removed. So I won't have to mess with the bolt head's weldments.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:35 AM   #5

Just a heads up, there is a whole thread on mods and upgrades at the top of this forum. It’s long but has a ton of info that might help you
Old 05-20-2022, 07:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Scot ; just a slight correction .
Your Bounder 32W ; is on a Workhorse chassis ; Workhorse didn't build their own engines .
I'll assume the chassis is a W-22 ( 22,000 lbs. GVWR )
Then engine is manufactured by GM ( 8.1L )and the transmission is an Allison 1000 series .

You are correct. I am learning so much! It is an 8.1L engine on the W22 Workhorse chassis.

Thank you!
Old 05-20-2022, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
RV couches have metal frames that are bolted to the floor. Depends on manufacturer how they attach it to the slide out or to the non-slide out floor. Most often it's a 1/2" bolt from underneath up into the room, giant washers here and there, a jam nut to hold it (or it's welded to stop it from spinning or loosening up and dropping down into the slide mechanism) and the couch sits over the bolts and the bolts pass through the frame of the couch and receive more washers and nuts to hold it in place.

Or the bolts pass from the frame of the couch into the floor where welded bolts are waiting in perfect alignment. Sort of. Really depends. This is how mine was installed, the bolts are welded to the frame under the slide, and the couch is positioned over them and the bolts dropped down through the frame of the couch into the floor. So when I removed them, and removed the electric couch/bed/lounger can't see the holes for the carpet. Couch is for sale BTW.

The reason the frames are metal, and things like couches and chairs are bolted to the floor is because in an accident and roll over, you don't want heavy items rolling around the inside of the RV injuring people.

As far as the dinette goes, I'd just leave it in place and cut the carpet from around it. Just to make the job easier and less complicated.

I have left the seat belts that attach to the slide under and behind the couch in place for now. Those bolts come up from underneath. If I get around to it, I'll hacksaw them off flush with the floor...after the carpet around them is removed. So I won't have to mess with the bolt head's weldments.

Thanks Jim. I didn't even think about the bolts being welded on to the frame. That makes perfect sense. I was fearful of losing the bolt when removing the couch.
Scott
Old 05-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #8

Scott, to get that hide-a-bed out you will need to dissemble it. It probably won't go through your door or window. Ours didn't! I don't know how to get a new one in since ours didn't go out without dissembling it. If you want to keep a hide-a-bed how about getting yours re-upholstered? The new one will have the same type mechanisms that yours has now; just different upholstery. Our solution was 2 La-Z-Boy's. If you need sleeping arrangements buy an air mattress. The hide-a-bed we had was the most uncomfortable seat that I ever sat on.
134451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are also intending to replace the assembly of steel, foam, and cloth embarrassingly called a "hide-a-bed" which is only a little more comfortable than sleeping on an anthill while curling up with scorpions. I tried to find the group to which computerguy referred about modifications and upgrades but did not find such header among the lists above.

I did find, and highly recommend Ickes RV Surplus Supplies, Inc. in Montpelier Indiana, about halfway between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne. They have entire warehouses of mostly new pieces and parts for rebuilding and upgrading RVs of any kind but, sadly, they did not have a replacement hide-a-bed on the day we enjoyed wandering though their inventories, but they'll give me a call when something come in. Visit their website online and plan to spend a few hours wandering if you visit them!

Best Regards,
Frank
Old 05-24-2022, 09:51 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
2003 Southwind 36R, Workhorse chassis. I replaced the factory fabric hide-a-bed (torture chamber with a 2 in mattress) with a Flexsteel jackknife sofa covered in leather matching our captains chairs. Both were/are bolted to the floor, and I was able to take everything in/out the side entry door. Flexsteel stopped making RV furniture but you can look at RecPro, BraddandHall, Thomas Payne, and I am sure there are others. Much nicer, more comfortable to sleep on, and more room in the coach when open. Good luck.
GunnerAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement