Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2022, 03:19 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
Mike,

What I would do first is call Rev Group with your FIN Number and get the plumbing schematics so you can see how and the location in the chassis (framing) where the water tank is installed.

That will at least give you a perspective of how difficult it may be to remove, the plumbing disassembly that may be involved and the possibility of some metal framework that may need to be cut and re-welded in order to extract/replace it.

Typically, as you probably know, these tanks are installed in the chassis before the unit on top is assembled and are theoretically suppose to last the life of the coach.

With that being said and as someone else suggested, I'd be inclined to take it back to Decatur and have it done at Rev Group as opposed to just any RV repair or service center. Afterall, they installed it and have all the resources, parts, manufacturing knowledge and technicians on site to do it correctly.

There are some real respected (believe it or not) RV repair facilities capable of handling the job, but do your due diligence if you decide on going elsewhere. At a minimum, give Rev Group a chance to quote you a price.

Lastly, if it were my coach, I would put in a new tank if you have to go through all this because if the repair eventually fails, you are back to square one again....at your expense.

Just my 3 cents worth.

I wish you the best of luck in getting this resolved and will continue to follow the thread.
Please keep us posted.
Thank you for your advice. I have contacted several professionals who essentially agree that I need to contact REV and get the information needed and proceed from there. It is likely that the tank will need to be replaced by a REV authorized repair facility. I will keep you posted as things transpire.
mike2395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2022, 11:09 AM   #16

Mike,

Very sorry to read about your situation (I am your neighbor at the storage yard).

Are you certain that it is in fact a leak? I once thought that our fresh water tank was leaking only to discover that it was just a syphon created by me due to overfilling the tank in Northern Virginia. Was still leaking at a rest stop in Smithfield NC and continued to leak until about 1/4 of the tank was filled.

Here's hoping!!
Old 02-20-2022, 05:52 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Dave,
Thanks for the info. Give me a call when you are free. I got a new phone and tried to call you but called a bad number.
Mike
Old 02-20-2022, 08:41 AM   #18

Sent you a PM with my phone number.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:14 PM   #19

First thing I would do is get a second opinion just to make sure. I had a bad leak and was told my tank was cracked. Turned out when I crawled under to see for myself, it was just the passenger side fill hose connection. Quickly and easily fixed. If you indeed have a crack and are mechanically inclined, some Flex-Seal tape would seal it up. You can get it at any Home Depot or Walmart. Good luck! ,
Old 02-23-2022, 06:03 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for your advice. I am taking the coach to another shop. The tank leaks down to 1/4 tank. The shop will recheck all connections before proceeding. There is no way to get to two sides and top of the tank without lots of labor intensive work. The metal underbelly of the coach needs to be removed in order to get to it. That is over 30 feet long.
They plan to try other things before that, including a tank pressure test.
This first shop I took it to disassembled the water bay panel and checked all the connections to the tank. They did not take out the aqua hot on the other side of the tank to check that side, so we will check with REV to find out if there is a connection on that side. The fact that the tank leaks to 1/4 makes me wonder if a leaky connection was missed. Some of the hose connections appear to be at about that level.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #21

Been there - done that.

Mike,
Sorry to read about your polyethylene fresh water tank issue. I too experienced that same issue with my ’12 American Coach (AC) Tradition.
If your crack issue mirrors mine, you will not beable to easily access the crack. I’ve met at least four AC owners all of which had the same issue.
Bottom line the tank will need to be replaced and no amount of plastic welding will fix the issue as the black and grey tanks sit atop a large portion of the fresh water tank. This is the design flaw that many of us 2008 - 2017 AC owners (and probably Fleetwood owners too) have to live with.
Bottom line my AC was repaired at the AC service center for a total cost of $13K that encompassed 70 man hours. My extended warranty covered the cost - less my deductible.
To remove the grey, black and fresh water tanks service technicians had to remove the entire electrical bay (inverters, etc…) and the wet bay too.
The technicians (who acknowledged to having repaired at least 5 other ACs for the same issue) showed me where the crack was located. It was situated in a spot that could only be accessed by removing the tank.
The technicians recommended that to preclude any reoccurrence that when traveling we do so with a full (to 3/4) fresh water tank and very little in the grey and black. So that when going down the road the black/grey will not be bouncing on the fresh water tank.
frauddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and providing the details and advice. I will be taking the Coach to Allegiance RV in Wildwood, FL, about two hours from my home. They have done several coaches with the same issues and work on AC and REV. They plan to take the old tank to a manufacturer in South Florida where they plan to build a new tank. The cost of the tank will be $300-$400 less than what REV charges.
I am bringing it there 3/22/22 and let you know how it goes.
Thanks again. The information is really helpful and appreciated.
Mike Collins
904-891-2760
Old 02-25-2022, 04:22 AM   #23

Hi Mike,

Sounds like they may be using "Protank" in Hollywood, Florida for the fabrication and that's good.

They did a new water tank for my sailboat and I was very pleased with their finished product and customer service.

They are located about 10 miles from my house.

Wish you the best in getting this resolved.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 01:58 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for the information. I plan to get the work started in 3 weeks and will let you know the outcome.
Mike
Old 04-04-2022, 04:01 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I followed your advice and purchased a replacement fresh water tank from the factory. The cost with shipping and tax came to $770. Steve’s RV Repair removed the old tank and marked where the leak was. The work took 12 man hours and was performed by two very experienced pros. The total cost came to about $2800, including the tank. So far so good!
Thanks again for the excellent and thoughtful incite and advice.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:16 AM   #26

Glad to hear that [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:15 PM   #27

What model of coach and year?
Had a leak in my fresh water tank.
2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40x.
Was the tank drain tube for water tank. There is an inspection plate in the frame. Re glued the pipe and all is well.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:42 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Read the earlier posts regarding the details. The cracked tank had to be replaced. 2014 American Coach Revolution 42W
I am traveling with it today for the first time since the repair/replacement was completed. It was a massive job.
Wish me luck!
Mike

Tags
fresh water, revolution, tank, water