Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

Cross Wind Takeoffs Bounder 33W

I'm new to the RV scene with my archaic 89 Bounder. 454 purrs like a kitten, but the rig is terrible in crosswinds. I use to fly for a living, but still didn't have to deal with crosswinds for eight hours a day. smile. Anyway, I intend to do a little tightening up on the front suspension, but was wondering what other suggestions you might have on this subject?
searchinferu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #2

Blue ox true center will help. Sometimes the shorter units have a little more difficulty in cross winds.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a Blue Ox True Center on my previous coach and it was just OK. I now have Safe T Plus steering damper with the optional Air Trim unit and it works great. Driving in a crosswind, I turn the wheel into the wind and then push the trim button. All the load is taken off the steering wheel and I'm now driving one handed. I labeled the switch "Yaw Damper" because that's pretty much what it does..
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Auto rudder off? Sorry,,, couldn't resist
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #5

If you are describing side-to-side rear SWAY on a front engine gas RV, the most effective accessory is a Track Bar (Panhard bar). Leaf spring rear suspension and worn shackles are the root cause of rear sway on these rigs while add-on steering accessories are more like fine tuning. There is a lot of good discussion here about different handling issues. Use SEARCH to find and read these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchinferu View Post
I'm new to the RV scene with my archaic 89 Bounder. 454 purrs like a kitten, but the rig is terrible in crosswinds. I use to fly for a living, but still didn't have to deal with crosswinds for eight hours a day. smile. Anyway, I intend to do a little tightening up on the front suspension, but was wondering what other suggestions you might have on this subject?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchinferu View Post
S'matter, Searchin, doancha like dancing on the controls?

Heck, cross-wind takeoffs are easy. The landings are a bit tougher. Especially in a motorhome.
mckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #7

Robert Henderson, the owner of Henderson's Line-Up Brake & RV Inc. is the guru of the older P30/32 chassis. He still drives a 94 P chassis. Seek advice from Robert.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we first purchased our 1985 Airstream 345 it was almost undriveable in any cross wind. What I did was have the rear shocks replaced and it was like a miracle.

One shock mount was even broken from the frame.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We bought our new to us '03 Bounder 35R last summer. We added the Safe-T-Plus and new shocks and she handled a lot better than before these additions. The shocks on our rig were the originals.

Big Bertha - 2003 Bounder 35R
mttop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #10

Thanks George, I'll see if the springs can be rebushed, consider new shocks, and if all else fails, just drive at night. The wind tends to go down then and its also harder to see when you cross the white lines!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:20 AM   #11

On my 99 Georgie Boy P-32 chassis the trick was to add a Blue-Ox Tiger Trac to the rear, and Safe-T-Plus for the steering. I then added a Henderson Line-Up bell crank and replaced the front airbags with their coil springs. Lastly I installed Koni FSDs shocks all around.

It sounds like a lot I know, but if I had to to it again I would start with the Tiger Trac, and take it from there.

Good luck!
EasyPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #12

Any of the steer dampener/trim products with driver adjustable setting will give you the "rudder trim" effect just don't forget there is no "heading hold" so the road and wind variations have to be watched. At least it's easier than needle/ball/airspeed.
BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #13

Thanks for all the input folks. I will have to wait for warmer weather to crawl underneath and see what is already there. I did find out it has air bags, so they probably haven't been aired up in some time. Not sure what the actual chassis height is suppose to be, but perhaps start out with 75 pounds and go from there....assuming they will hold air.

If I don't find a track bar installed, I think I will put one in. Not sure about those rudder trim devices. Will scratch my head about those a bit longer I think.

Tags
bounder