Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

Cummins / Onan HGJAB generator starts priming by itself

Yesterday the HGJAB generator in my 2010 Fleetwood Fiesta started its fuel pump in the "prime" mode. It's just like when you press the "Off / Prime" button on the remote.

I couldn't start the generator it or shut the fuel pump off. The switch did nothing and the red generator light was on.

By disconnecting the remote harness at the generator, the priming stopped. I can then start and run the generator normally.

I checked the remote harness and there doesn't appear to be a short to ground.

*Has anyone on the forum experienced this or have some thoughts on what to check? - thanks in advance.
SandyEggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2016, 03:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyEggo View Post
Yesterday the HGJAB generator in my 2010 Fleetwood Fiesta started its fuel pump in the "prime" mode. It's just like when you press the "Off / Prime" button on the remote.

I couldn't start the generator it or shut the fuel pump off. The switch did nothing and the red generator light was on.

By disconnecting the remote harness at the generator, the priming stopped. I can then start and run the generator normally.

I checked the remote harness and there doesn't appear to be a short to ground.

*Has anyone on the forum experienced this or have some thoughts on what to check? - thanks in advance.
This thread might help you out http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/onan...oise-8324.html
Pay attention to post #9..........sound like this might just be your problem , maybe?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
This thread might help you out http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/onan...oise-8324.html
Pay attention to post #9..........sound like this might just be your problem , maybe?
Thanks for the help palehorse. Although I searched before posting, I didn't find this thread.

I'm not sure if this is my problem as peter griffin mentions two solutions.

Possibly the generator-to-remote wiring or the switch is at fault for me. When unplugged, everything works fine. Plugged in, I can't start it without the engine running.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #4

Having issues with my EC30. It's doing the same as above PLUS not working with the Quiet times.

Called Onan and was told that the whole unit needs replaced! He did not think you could send it in anymore! My SW version is 1.5 and apparently 3.10

Product Support bulletin issued 4/2/15 states SW versions prior to 3.15R6 having issues with dropping out of Auto mode and 10 minute restarts.

Looks like I'll need to purchase a new SC30 to get current!

mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #5

So, I found and fixed the problem. I've added this response to benefit others that might have a similar issue.

Using a volt/ohm meter, I saw that there was a partial short to ground. Traced that to a 10-wire plug under the hood that handles the generator remote start switch. Water had gotten inside, corroded and shorted the ground-to-remote-start circuit (couldn't add pics for some reason).

Cut out the plug and hard wired everything with waterproof heat shrink connectors.

'Works
Old 02-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #6

I think you will also find that the energy command 30 will also need upgraded. The connectors in my harness are clean and cunducting normally. Still getting priming that stops as soon as I disconnect the Onan Energy Command 30 module.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
I think you will also find that the energy command 30 will also need upgraded. The connectors in my harness are clean and cunducting normally. Still getting priming that stops as soon as I disconnect the Onan Energy Command 30 module.
Thanks mchero. I wish my rig had the command 30. I just have the manual "hey, the lights look dim" alert system - just a start / stop switch

Tags
cummins, generator, onan