Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #1

Damaged slide topper

So...a tree branch fell and hit the full wall slide topper at the rear end of the slide. About a foot from the end of the topper.

It bent the topper cylinder and ripped the rivets off the end cap off. It pulled the rivet heads off. The topper vinyl material is ok as is the slide.

I've got the topper brackets etc disassembled.

The dent in the aluminum tube is about fifty percent of the diameter.

Can I remove the dent/straighten the topper tube? Use a dent puller, pipe expander with heat or get a second job to buy a replacement?

Thanks for your help!

2015 Fleetwood discovery 40g.
CoRTeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #2

Insurance replace the whole thing.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #3

Not sure you'll be able to fix it and use the topper reliably going forward. At least on my '16 Bounder that tube needes to be straight. If there is any bend in it it will hit the lip on the slide. If it hits the lip you are asking for more trouble like ripping the mount right out of the slide. That's what happened to mine. And mine was not damaged. It just needed a brace in the middle so it would not sag. But in the end the sag in the middle allowed the tube and topper material to rub the slide lip and stopped it from turning. If the tube stops turning when the slide is moving out? It RIPS the mount out of the slide. First hand experience.
Thanks Fleetwood for not installing a middle brace on a 19' slide topper! Another "quality" design "feature" by Fleetwood/REV
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Not sure you'll be able to fix it and use the topper reliably going forward. At least on my '16 Bounder that tube needes to be straight. If there is any bend in it it will hit the lip on the slide. If it hits the lip you are asking for more trouble like ripping the mount right out of the slide. That's what happened to mine. And mine was not damaged. It just needed a brace in the middle so it would not sag. But in the end the sag in the middle allowed the tube and topper material to rub the slide lip and stopped it from turning. If the tube stops turning when the slide is moving out? It RIPS the mount out of the slide. First hand experience.
Thanks Fleetwood for not installing a middle brace on a 19' slide topper! Another "quality" design "feature" by Fleetwood/REV
I feel your pain.

I took the old tube down and replaced it with a new one. Thanks for the input.

On the negative side. When the full wall slide is retracted and the topper is completely off the RV the thing leaks like crazy in the rain. Water just runs right in. Rubber looks ok.

Maybe the slide is not aligned well?

Any suggestions?
CoRTeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I can relate..3 months into our ownership of our '16 Bounder 35K, after a torrential rain we retracted the slide (as we were told by salesman to get ANY water off the topper), well it held so much water that it 'backlashed'-due to weight of water-into the coach. Upon trying to extend again....well....we all know what a backlash on a reel does. Yep!, no extending....slide was literally non working. Long story, we had to replace the topper as the old one had to be cut off Ever since, I sweep the topper before retracting. Seems the weight of the water causes the tube to sag/bend towards the slide wall-not stout enough(??)
16bounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide