Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2021, 06:26 PM   #1

Dangerous Electrical Practice from MFG

While I was installing a control wire for a new instant water heater from the bathroom to the heater, I discovered several things that bothered/infuriated me.
I have come to expect the cheap build quality of most RV manufacturers.Cheap wood, staples, luan drawers etc.. But this is ridiculous.
Pic 1 below (pic2 is my fix) shows Fleetwood’s idea of an electrical connection. A 10awg wire stuck though 7 ring connectors.. and yes they were live. They threw an arc when connected or disconnected.
As if this not bad enough, running very close to the “connection” was the 3/8” RUBBER propane line for the furnace (not secured down in any way.
So, rubber propane line not secured, arcing electrical connection and road vibration all in a small enclosed space. It’s idiotic, it’s dangerous and it downright criminal!
I could rant all day about how pi$$ed I am about this. But honestly I signed up to forums and wrote this post to warn all others about this danger.
This is in a 16 Fleetwood Excursion 35E. It’s located in the rear bedroom, passenger side under the storage area below the tv. I was able to get the floor of the “cabinet” off just by removing a couple screws.
Please check yours. Or have someone check it.
I love this RV... still do. But you can bet I am spending the next few weeks combing through it checking for things like this.
If Fleetwood’s sees this post, they should contact me for the vin, find out who did the installation or who checked the QC passed box (doubt that happens) and immediately fire them all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4428488-EEB8-463A-A8AF-E4D160D162A9.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	320575   Click image for larger version

Name:	F5C5D6E7-F182-4A2D-A3D9-D0C8EDEF5063.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	320576  

895Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2021, 06:38 PM   #2

Like the old saying goes? They don't build them worth a s--- anymore!

Or is that the new saying ?
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:42 PM   #3

#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #4

Wow, jeez, I'd be smoking hot, ha kinda like that piss poor connection. I think I've seen all mine, certainly nothing to be proud of but nothing like that.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #5

I have found all kinds of sketchy build issues with my Fleetwood MH. I've sent emails but they could care less. I just fix it now when I find it. Some I'm not sure how to fix, bathroom wall is moving so that the door has a large gap.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #6

WOW!

I'm speechless...... and will use that pic when I talk about questionable build practices, lack of design control, and the absence of quality engineering in RV's!
Tom Boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:13 PM   #7

If a building inspector found this in a new home build he would probably shut the entire site down.
It it was a Fire Marshal that found it (cuz it killed someone) there would be lawsuits for years!
895Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:20 PM   #8

First of all, welcome aboard.
Always good to have a new friend at our 🔥 campfires.

Second I would like to thank you for giving us a heads up on this. To say this is substandard is putting it mildly. Pleased that you found it before it caused a serious fire.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:20 PM   #9

"Hey Ralph...today you will be running electric wiring"

"I don't know nothing about that electrrical stuff"

"Don't worry It is simple...you will just be doing the Ground Circuits. Put some ring connectors on the ends and secure them to one common ground wire"

"OK.......sounds simple enough!"
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 895Guy View Post
While I was installing a control wire for a new instant water heater from the bathroom to the heater, I discovered several things that bothered/infuriated me.
I have come to expect the cheap build quality of most RV manufacturers.Cheap wood, staples, luan drawers etc.. But this is ridiculous.
Pic 1 below (pic2 is my fix) shows Fleetwood’s idea of an electrical connection. A 10awg wire stuck though 7 ring connectors.. and yes they were live. They threw an arc when connected or disconnected.
As if this not bad enough, running very close to the “connection” was the 3/8” RUBBER propane line for the furnace (not secured down in any way.
So, rubber propane line not secured, arcing electrical connection and road vibration all in a small enclosed space. It’s idiotic, it’s dangerous and it downright criminal!
I could rant all day about how pi$$ed I am about this. But honestly I signed up to forums and wrote this post to warn all others about this danger.
This is in a 16 Fleetwood Excursion 35E. It’s located in the rear bedroom, passenger side under the storage area below the tv. I was able to get the floor of the “cabinet” off just by removing a couple screws.
Please check yours. Or have someone check it.
I love this RV... still do. But you can bet I am spending the next few weeks combing through it checking for things like this.
If Fleetwood’s sees this post, they should contact me for the vin, find out who did the installation or who checked the QC passed box (doubt that happens) and immediately fire them all.
That is unreal, so very bad!!!
Old 03-08-2021, 07:32 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, that is ridiculous, is this a newer Fleetwood?
Old 03-08-2021, 08:59 PM   #12
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Every time I go to repair something it seems I find another stupid thing that the monkeys on Fleetwood's assembly line cobble together. My propane line was just casually draped over the crossmembers.

As long as it gets out the door, to the dealers lot and past the warranty period they could care less.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 895Guy View Post
...this is ridiculous.
Pic 1 below (pic2 is my fix) shows Fleetwood’s idea of an electrical connection. A 10awg wire stuck though 7 ring connectors.. and yes they were live.
Yikes! That is scary.

Looking at the picture, (with the copper wire holding the wires via the ring terminals), reminds me of things I've seen in the past.

Back when I worked on cars professionally, fellow techs would zip tie electrical connectors like this, too remind them that these wires all went together. This practice was used when removing components in order to facilitate a repair procedure. While the practice is sound,.....if you get distracted/interupted during installation it can become an instant problem.

My guess is the wire installer bundled the wires together while they were layed out in the coach. But before the wires could be screwed down to an electrical block (like you did in picture 2) they were distracted. Be it a lunch break, called away by a co-worker or supervisor, was quitting time, they flat forgot to finish the job.

The real rub, and why you are so mad, is no one caught the problem! The propane line fitter, cabinet installer, or anyone else saw this as a problem! Either they were lazy, over worked, had the not-my-job attitude, or worse just did not care.

Either way, this issue should have been caught, and resolved long before the coach left the factory. A supervisor should have been notified, with a quick shift training meeting called to address the problem found. At most someone should have been fired.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #14

To me, looks like all 12v ground connectors so not very dangerous--but really, really stupid!!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical