Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2022, 07:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
What chassis is your coach built on ?

What dash A/C system did Fleetwood install ? Denso ? Evans? other ?
It’s a Freightliner chassis. Couldn’t tell you what AC system is in it. Since the AC worked great until the hose leaked, I just assumed fixing the hose and refilling the 134a would do the trick. But for whatever reason the compressor doesn’t want to start.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2022, 07:23 PM   #16

OK , on my 99 Freightliner chassis ; Newmar / Evans dash A/C system ; Newmar attached to the Freightliner A/C compressor clutch wiring , just above the genset .

If Fleetwood did a similar connection and the dash system is delivering power to this point , then you have to investigate Freightliner wiring in the engine compartment .
If there is a connection here and no power to it , then you have to trace backwards toward the A/C control head . In my case there is a relay , that provides power to the A/C condenser fan too . Does your A/C condenser fan run , if the shop didn't power it up at the same time as the compressor ; pressures would be HIGH .

Blue wire is Evans , White is Freightliner .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	369093  
Old 06-22-2022, 07:31 PM   #17

Look around under your hood : Evans systems are easy to identify . Blue oval
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0462.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	369094  
Old 06-22-2022, 07:34 PM   #18

Quote:
OK , on my 99 Freightliner chassis ; Newmar / Evans dash A/C system ; Newmar attached to the Freightliner A/C compressor clutch wiring , just above the genset .

If Fleetwood did a similar connection and the dash system is delivering power to this point , then you have to investigate Freightliner wiring in the engine compartment .
If there is a connection here and no power to it , then you have to trace backwards toward the A/C control head . In my case there is a relay , that provides power to the A/C condenser fan too . Does your A/C condenser fan run , if the shop didn't power it up at the same time as the compressor ; pressures would be HIGH .

Blue wire is Evans , White is Freightliner .
Thanks Skip. I’m going to pass this info on to the shop. Much appreciated.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #19

Please ask them to try and identify the dash system . I have wiring info for Evans and Denso repair info .

EDIT: Also , 1999 F/L XC Chassis ,wiring schematic if they need it : But not much other that circuit number and wire color ( 97C and white ) beside the connection in the photo.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:28 AM   #20

This is what I get, system charged, system green light on meaning to me it’s getting power, system blows cold are when power direct to compressor. My opinion pull the 2 wire plug off of low pressure cut off switch and jump it. If compressor kicks on it’s either that sensor or low on Freon still.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
This is what I get, system charged, system green light on meaning to me it’s getting power, system blows cold are when power direct to compressor. My opinion pull the 2 wire plug off of low pressure cut off switch and jump it. If compressor kicks on it’s either that sensor or low on Freon still.
Thanks, I just forwarded that idea to the shop.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:56 AM   #22

The shop couldn't find the low pressure sensor. Any idea where it's at?
Old 06-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #23

FYI I have a Denso system.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer37 View Post
FYI I have a Denso system.
Ok good to know what system you have .

Now to figure out where the pressure switch is .

Mine is in the liquid line next to the receiver dryer ; BUT ; that section of the plumbing maybe part of the Evans dash kit.
To the best of my knowledge , Freightliner installed the A/C lines to the front of the frame rail , including the dryer , then according to this Evans diagram , Newmar installed the rest .

Here's the Denso info I have , I haven't been through it looking for the pressure ( binary ) switch location.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Evans Parts.PNG
Views:	33
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	369130  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DENSO_RV_HVAC_Service Manual_0427 (1).pdf (2.50 MB, 28 views)
Old 06-23-2022, 09:36 AM   #25

In the pdf ; page 40 , diagram 58 , pressure switch appears to be accessed by removing the blower motor assembly . Other diagrams show a wiring connector outside the housing .

Must have been an engineer involved in that placement hiding a part that's likely to fail .
Old 06-23-2022, 09:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Ok good to know what system you have .

Now to figure out where the pressure switch is .

Mine is in the liquid line next to the receiver dryer ; BUT ; that section of the plumbing maybe part of the Evans dash kit.
To the best of my knowledge , Freightliner installed the A/C lines to the front of the frame rail , including the dryer , then according to this Evans diagram , Newmar installed the rest .

Here's the Denso info I have , I haven't been through it looking for the pressure ( binary ) switch location.
Guys on the Discovery group say the pressure switch (high/low combo switch) is located in the heater/AC housing under the dash. Of course getting to it would be a PITA. So at this point I'm about to give up. We only have one trip planned this year (so far) so it doesn't make sense to throw a bunch more money at it. It's just disappointing because it worked so well until the leak occurred.

One other thing I'll mention; when the tech vacuumed out the system he put 3 lbs. of 134a back in it and the system capacity is 3.5 lbs. That extra half lb. wouldn't be enough to prevent the compressor from starting, would it??
Old 06-23-2022, 09:45 AM   #27

My Evans system uses the 3.5 # too .
I haven't read the pdf on Denso , end to end , so I'm not sure what the pressure range of the switch is ( or even if it's there ).

But with the wiring connector external to the housing , the shop could add the extra .5# and check to see if the switch closes to activate the clutch .
Pressure should produce continuity in the switch .

EDIT : Should read " Correct pressure".
Old 06-23-2022, 01:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer37 View Post
Guys on the Discovery group say the pressure switch (high/low combo switch) is located in the heater/AC housing under the dash. Of course getting to it would be a PITA. So at this point I'm about to give up. We only have one trip planned this year (so far) so it doesn't make sense to throw a bunch more money at it. It's just disappointing because it worked so well until the leak occurred.

One other thing I'll mention; when the tech vacuumed out the system he put 3 lbs. of 134a back in it and the system capacity is 3.5 lbs. That extra half lb. wouldn't be enough to prevent the compressor from starting, would it??

Just a thought tech vacuum out 3 lbs after it had been leaking enough to turn off compressor? So how does tech know that 3.5 is enough?

Tags
compressor, dash, not starting