Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #1

Day/Night Shade removal

Today the string broke on my shade for the small side window on my Bounder 35H. How do you remove the shade for repair? I see screws at the top of the valance that looks like they secure the top of the valance to the ceiling of the slide. I found screws at the bottom of the sides of the valance. Is the shade secured to the valance and will come out with the valance after removing the mentioned screws? I can't see any attachments or screws that secure the day/night shades above the window.
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/wind...nce-82928.html
Old 02-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #3

Thanks. I am assuming the day/night shades are attached to the valance and come out with the valance. Am I right?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #4

If you get a flashlight and look up into the blind you will see two screws that hold the blind to the valance. You can take off the valance and then remove the blind, but it is no more difficult to just remove the blind.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

I'm assunming the two screws are at the ends of the shade.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

If I remember right they were about 1/3 the way in from each end.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #7

In my Newmar the valance is held by two screws at each end run in at 45 degree angle. yours may be attached different but general principal applies
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #8

I found it much easier to remove the valance and shade together, then remove the shade from the valance. The screws holding the shade are in the center of the fabric, so its a real bear getting to them. The screws holding the valance are probably slanted as just mentioned. You can see the valance screw below, but need to lift the shade material to see the screws that hold it.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3387.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	8295  
Old 02-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Some of the large shade may also have a clip in the middle that hold it in place while installing/removing the screws. The top bar angles in and clicks. To remove you just pull on the side that looks like a tab.

Take a look at the grommets that the string runs through to see if they are all OK. One of them may be what is wearing out the string.

Take your time and it won't be a bad job.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What I discovered ...there has never been two of these things assembled the same. Two, three, four or no screws. Inside or outside the valance. I just poked around until I found them. Removing the valance with the shade was easiest for me but yours may be different.

Do you have the instructions for re-stringing the shade?

Blind and Shade Parts and String Repair Instuctions / Directions
Old 02-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #11

Wow. Thanks for all the info. The picture was a big help.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have repaired several day/night, strings in my windows. I remove the entire valance/with shades. 3 screws in the top and 1 screw on each side of valance.
I ordered the string with new springs, etc. from "Fix my blinds" on line. They will send you instructions for 2 string,3 string or 4 string shades. String one side at a time & then the other. Fold up the day shade and tie to the night shade to make reinstallation easier. I ordered a string that was slightly larger in dia. than previous string. They will send you enough string to repair several shades. I have a Fleetwood Revolution.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #13

Thanks okie-dokie. I know about the web site and info how to restring. Looks like the most difficult part is getting to the screws in the bottom of the valance.