Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Day/Night shades bedroom

09 Expedition. Both of the Day/Night shades in the bedroom have broken strings which make them inoperable. I have not determined how to get the covers off in order to attempt to repair them. Any ideas?

J Rountree S. GA
jrountree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
My DW and I have re-strung several. What I don't understand is " is how to get the covers off ". Ours were screwed to the coach the valance has a top screw and a fourty five degree angle into the wall on the lower bottom area. Remove everything comes down. Then remove the shade from the valance. You can send them away for repair or do it yourself. Google up how to re string rv shades. PDF will be available as well as you tube video's. They are a pain but a DIY job can be accomplished.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree unscrew them pull the end cap off and the part that the string comes out of will slide out it's a pain to do but it's doable
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv View Post
... it's a pain to do but it's doable...
How true. We had a couple that were too tight, they can be loosened the same way. I bought a WM Black and Decker battery screw driver for these jobs, makes it lots easier.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Dirty Blind Man

I've done several. More than several actually. I get parts from RV Shade and Blind Repair. They have pretty good tutorials on their website.

My tips:

Do the work on the blinds indoors. The slightest puff of wind will mess you up and make you crazy.

You will need a large flat surface, like a dining room table. Not a floor!

Wash your hands often. Keep the blinds clean.

Having an assistant might be nice, but it really is a one person job if you're not in a rush.

The hardest part is getting the blinds back in. But if you're patient it can be done by one person. Always hit the center screw first but don't tighten any of them until they're all in.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the link to the shade repair site, Just a tip if you are having trouble viewing the repair kit page ( I had trouble with Mozilla) switch to IE ( or another) browser and it views better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I've done several. More than several actually. I get parts from RV Shade and Blind Repair. They have pretty good tutorials on their website.

My tips:

Do the work on the blinds indoors. The slightest puff of wind will mess you up and make you crazy.

You will need a large flat surface, like a dining room table. Not a floor!

Wash your hands often. Keep the blinds clean.

Having an assistant might be nice, but it really is a one person job if you're not in a rush.

The hardest part is getting the blinds back in. But if you're patient it can be done by one person. Always hit the center screw first but don't tighten any of them until they're all in.
JoeyJettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
One more suggestion.

After you unscrew the shades, place them on a flat surface (like the dinette) and do not pull everything apart. Usually the string on one side will be OK and you might want to remove that carefully and either re use it or at least use it to get a measurement for the replacement string(s). By not dismantling the shades until you have noted how they are assembled, you will not have to scratch your head and try to figure how the parts fit into each other. You should also inspect the metal frames for burrs in the holes where the strings will rout thru. If there are burrs, get your portable drill and removethe burrs in the metal frames prior to restringing. The burrs are usually the reason that the strings break. I think someone also sells bushings tha can go in the holes. Here is a utube video on how to restring rv day night shades.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote