Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dead Batteries Overnight

Here's that happened:

We came home from a week long boondocking trip (roughly 100 miles driven each way) and I checked the house batteries after we unpacked and they were 100% charged.

I plugged the Bounder into shore power and switched the refer into AC only mode. As far as I know the only things on in the Bounder were the converter/charger and the Refer.

Some time later the house breaker tripped and the A/C power to the Bounder was cut. (This is not the first time the Bounder has drawn more current than the circuit can deliver.)

In the morning the Mrs. went out to get something and the Bounder house batteries were totally dead, and the refer was beeping.

I'm thinking that maybe the Inverter tried to run the refer, even though it was off at the control panel. Or the refer was running on 12V only. But my manual states that I have only a 2 way, not a 3 way refer.

When I reset the house breaker the batteries in the Bounder charged up in less than a day and consistantly registered 100% for several days. I replaced them anyway but now I'm concerned that this might happen again even with the new bateries.

Thoughts?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Your refer didn't switch over to propane?
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your fridge is alway requires 12V for its operation of control boards.
The AC operation is a separate part of its operation if not transfered to the LP operation when on AUTO.
What is causing the breaker in house to operate is something you need to look at.
It could be a faulty breaker if old and needs replacement.
If your line is feeding off a GFI outlet the GFI maybe sensing a ground back from your motor home.
Defective fridge electric elements will have a high resistance short to ground and will cause GFI to trip.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not a GFI

Actually, the Bounder has blown a couple of different circuits, neither are GFI. But until I rip out the existing wiring that was done by and amateur and have it replaced I can't be sure of anything with regard to what's on any given circuit. I am in the process of completely re-wiring the garage and I will be adding a 30A circuit just for the RV.

The refer was on A/C only, not on auto. It would not have switched over to gas.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The fridge should not be able to run off the inverter unless someone did it on purpose. There are usually 2 a/c receptacles behind the fridge, the main circuit which does not come from the inverter, and an inverter circuit for the ice maker. Did someone swap the plugs?

I would never leave it in a/c only if I wanted to be sure it stayed cold.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #6

Ditto Jim's comment on the inverter. You most likely have a bad converter, FW used WFCO's in a lot of their products and they are known to fail. They may be working one minute and doing nothing the next. The clicking on the refer was most likely low DC voltage. On ours we have no AC only setting, it is either LP only or AUTO. AUTO uses electric as the default. Our inverter (FW installed) only powers two outlets, the back TV and the DVD/VCR up front. It should always be off unless watching TV.

We replaced our house batteries Aug. 2010 and then put a new PD-9280 converter in as the WFCO was not keeping them fully charged.

Bob
Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New Batteries

Apparently is was the batteries. I replaced them with 4 I got at Costo and haven't had a problem since. I've never been disappointed with Costco/Kirkland batteries. They are made by Johnson Controls and IMHO last longer and work better than most other batteries. And at $89 each it was a deal I could not pass up.

The Xantrax converter/charger seems to be working fine but in the future I will remember to be careful about where I plug it in.

for all the good sugggestions,
Muddypaws
Old 10-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you rewire your house connecting power this link should help if you have not already have it in your file.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks for the link.

The family business is electrical contracting and I've never seen some of those plugs! But I'm the black sheep and went into computer science some 40+ years ago. The only electrical work I did in my youth was residential.

Tags
batteries