Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2018, 12:30 AM   #1

dead engine battery

hello, we have a 2014 bounder 35K and it was good and we took our camping trips and so on. then last year nov, the engine wouldn't start battery was dead, jumped it and it ran, stopped engine wouldn't start again. Jumped battery and ran bounder for 10 mins and voltage looked good, stopped engine and it wouldn't start.
battery was dead upon checking voltage, went to ford dealership and purchased new battery same type. bounder ran good, and couple of weeks ago, it started right up. well today, tried to start it and it is dead again??
any reason why? The battery has a 100 mo warranty and is still good as I just got it December last year, but unsure why the battery is dead?
will see if I can borrow friends jumper to jump battery tomorrow or next day if he's not in tomorrow ... but would appreciate any advice, tips I may check.\\

thanks,

bill
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2018, 02:25 AM   #2

Do you turn off the master battery disconnect when you leave the coach sitting for a while? Parasitic draw of electronics will slowly drain the batteries till dead. I highly doubt its the alternator.
chiefM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:19 AM   #3

First, is it plugged into shore power when parked? If not, ChiefM is right, you are most likely running about a 1 amp hr parasitic drain(normal) which will kill the engine battery in less than a week.

If you are plugged in then you have a problem in your charging system since the engine battery is supposed to charge while on shore power.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #4

Had a similar issue with a dead coach battery when the dealer killed it while it was in for service. Found the fuses in the engine compartment feeding the battery from the battery box and the feed to the leveler pump were swapped. In other words the wrong size fuse was in the wrong circuit. When the system tried to charge a dead battery it blew the smaller fuse, hence no charging at all. Tried to get FW to pay for a new battery but I am a whole two weeks past my one year warranty so no dice. They know they built it wrong but too bad for me I didn't discover it sooner.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:46 PM   #5

we are full timers and are at our home base park plugged in 50amps shore. do I still need to disconnect battery? we had this unit for over a year doing same routine, plugged in shore and not disconnected and all was fine till last year.
problem seemed to start after some weeks following our trip to alliance rv shop to install new ice maker which was under warranty.
if its our charging system on the bounder, any way I can verify that?

thank you again for the tips and advice.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #6

Since you are plugged in and your engine battery is not charging I would check fuses first. Then check the BCC, for a defective Isolator/aux start/charge solenoid. This solenoid is located behind the circuit board in your BCC. It is a simple continuous duty solenoid, and is the shiny on in the middle of the two disconnect solenoids.

Here is a good thread on troubleshooting in the BCC;

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/chas...er-274654.html

If you can't find the reason it's not getting charging current it might be cheaper and quicker to just install a Trik-L-Start:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Ultra...-p/tls-oem.htm

It's a easy install, just run a wire from the coach battery(s) to the engine battery and one to ground.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
First, is it plugged into shore power when parked? If not, ChiefM is right, you are most likely running about a 1 amp hr parasitic drain(normal) which will kill the engine battery in less than a week.

If you are plugged in then you have a problem in your charging system since the engine battery is supposed to charge while on shore power.
Not all rigs are the same. Our Itasca does NOT provide charge to the chassis battery when plugged into shore power.

Having said that, it does sound like the OP's coach was previously doing fine holding a charge for the prolonged periods of time. In other words, his probably does charge while on shore power. Something in the charging circuit may have give way such as a fuse or the charger itself. Would need to get a volt/ohm meter out to do some checking.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #8

thank you for the links, will read and see about finding the BCC and go from there. Yes this unit used to be fine without us doing anything, until just last december. even after purchasing the new battery (same specs), it was fine till we tried to start it and nothing.
will keep the info on ordering the 5 amp charger in case.

thanks for the advice and tips
Old 03-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
#1 Your coach is made to charge the house and chassis batteries. Your BCC has a problem with the charge circuit. Start with a volt meter. Check the voltage of both house and chassis batteries. The voltage plugged in should be close to 13.6 volts. If it is under 13 volts, I believe you will find it to be 12.7 or less, Your charge circuit is not working.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #10

thank you ... my house batteries are good, the chassis is dead .. there is a small black plastic type box located just above to the right where the battery is located ... says push on the front side, I tried that and well its not opening yet, will try it again, just did not want to break it ... but is that where the engine fuses are?
Old 04-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy2000 View Post
thank you ... my house batteries are good, the chassis is dead .. there is a small black plastic type box located just above to the right where the battery is located ... says push on the front side, I tried that and well its not opening yet, will try it again, just did not want to break it ... but is that where the engine fuses are?
The BCC is not small, more like almost a shoe box size. I'm not familiar with what the newer coach's have installed, so you're smaller box could be involved. Can you shoot a pic and post it up? Lately I have been going to tinypic.com and uploading my photo, then copy the "image code for forums and message boards" link and just post it here and your photo will embed in the thread.

BCC looks like this:
Old 04-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #12

ok will take pic and copy, though last time I tried it, it did not work, but I think that box is similar to the one where the inverter and disconnect is located. also where the caution says disconnect cables, is that the cable to the chassis battery only or both the house and chassis batteries?
There is also a small black box with no label located in the front engine right as you open the front engine hood. have pushed the lever like it says and nothing, seems like if I keep trying to either push or pull the front cover it could break?

thanks again,, will get that pic up.

Tags
battery, engine