Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #1

Delamination OR Clearcoat Peel ?

Attached (hopefully I got the picture in this post)

is a picture of the rear side of my 2000 Bounder DP 39z

I can not seem to "get and edge" with my finger nail and was wondering what other people may think. Delamination or clearcoat peel?

I am a fairly decent mechanic (cars mostly) but bodywork is not my area of expertise. I have read some posts indicating methods of cleaning, sanding and re-coating with clear.

I do not have the money to go to a professional so anyone have advice on how to make my rig look better?

I am thinking of removing the decals with a heat gun (I have experience doing that before) then sanding the whole bus with 220? then clearcoating with a gun (I have a very large compressor at my car shop)

Anyone have experience they can share?

Ted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	peely 002.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	23654  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #2

It is clearcoat peel. As I recall, Bounders did not have full body paint options.Someone applied the clearcoat to fiberglass that wasn't properly prepped. Its not something you can just re-spray the peeled areas, as it will continue to do the same thing. You will most likely have to strip the entire coach, then use PoliGLow ( my choice of product for my own coach ) or RedMax....just my 2 cents worth...:-)
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks like clear coat peeling to me, but it is hard to tell from a picture. Light sanding of the clear coat then Respraying will work, however using 220 would leave sanding marks in the base coat and very possibly cut through the base coat as well. I would use at least wet 600 grit or an orbital sander with 600. When spraying the clear coat I would shoot 2 coats of clear. You want it to be wet enough that is doesn't dry immediately with contact but not too wet that it runs. You are trying to prevent orange peel. If it goes on either to light or too heavy you will get orange peel. You will then need to wet sand by hand with1500 then 2000 then buff. 2 coats on at a medium consistency about 15 mins apart will leave a nice shine with min orange peel that won't be noticeable.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #4

OK, how did you remove your original coat? Heard something about Red Max Pro being a floor finish that you can get at Lowes that makes campers look like new. Does it get applied with a high quality brush or is it sprayed?

Ted
Old 07-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I like rvguy40's idea about using Red Max Pro. Would be much easier with what most people have posted here is excellent results. Do a search for Red Max Pro 3. There's a lot of discussion and some pics here.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #6

Thanks!

I found the post(s) and instructions on the red-max pro, TYVM

Orbital sander ready for saturday!

One trip to Lowes and I will get the bus looking like new (hopefully!)

Ted
Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #7

People here have had good results with RedMax. I used PoliGlow on mine, and won't use or recommend anything else. Yes its a bit more expensive, HOWEVER... it comes with the proper cleaner to clean gelcoat and fiberglass. I'm not a fan of having to do things twice, so that is why I chose what I did. Proper surface preparation is the key to having a good finish, be it RMP, PoliGlow, or a spray on clearcoat. Whichever method you choose, take your time and do it right, you will be most satisfied with the results. My 97 gets comments on how good it looks everytime I go into a camp. Good luck and keep us posted on how its coming ?
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote