Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Delamination Problem

Has anyone had any issues with delamination on there American Eagle? I am currently in negotiations to purchase an 03 that has a delamination issue under the drivers window, and a small spot on the slide out in the same area. The price is quite good at $63,000. Am I going to be able to get this repaired properly? Or will I be kicking myself later? As I'm buying it from out of town I was able to call a marine fiberglass repair shop and send him a picture. His guesstimate was $4500. I guess that what really is scaring me is that this is the second Am Eagle I've come across with a delamination problem.
FL_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Delam's are due to leaking roof or window seals. Water causes wood underneath to rot and release the fiberglass. So, you will have to pull the window and reseal it to solve the problem. Delam's are usually more extensive than they appear on the surface. I believe they are caused by poor seal maintenance. Just fixing the delam will not prevent it from continuing.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #3

Delam also pops out in hot weather when the sun is hitting the side of the RV. I once experience delam where one area was fix then another area pops up and so on. Just Beware, it could be more than you see.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
To buy or not to buy????

Do either of you feel that this area is an indication that something went wrong during the manufacturing process or just a case of "stuff just happens" . The whole idea of my hunting down an American Eagle was for the quality.
FL_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Ed View Post
Do either of you feel that this area is an indication that something went wrong during the manufacturing process or just a case of "stuff just happens" . The whole idea of my hunting down an American Eagle was for the quality.

Very unlikely that it's a manufacturing issue. Delam is caused by moisture getting into the assembly. Any penetration through the sidewalk is an opportunity for a leak into the wall. The joint when the wall attaches to the roof is another.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water leaks are the worst enemy of motorhomes, majority are from the roof. As OP stated, possible internally that you cannot see. I honestly believe that rubber roofs were the worst thing that was ever put on a motothome, especially by f/wood. JMHO, walk.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Ed View Post
Me too, it is not a manufacturer defect. "s.... happens".

It is a water leaking behind the panel problem caused by a defective window seal or roof seam problem. A lot of times just vibration will cause breaks in a window seal and they have to be pulled and resealed. I have mentioned before that the polyurethane sealant that they use is very good, but not impervious to problems. When I received my new coach 18 years ago, I caulked all the window seams with high dollar silicon to prevent dirt from getting to polyurethane. Mold will grow when dirt sets on the caulking and the mold will penetrate and lift the polyurethane and gel coat from the fiberglass. Add 50 to 70mph wind and you have a water leak that starts at the top and is blown around the window into the wood below it that starts the delam process.

Yes, I too have chased a delam around on a wall. I like to use 3M spray glue after I completely clean the surface and a light sand. I even tacky rack the wood before I apply the glue. I also use a heat gun to get the fiber glass to reshape to the wall surface. I use a carpet roller with the heat gun to get the shape right before I glue.

If the wood is totally rotted out, then you have to replace the wood before you can glue. That is where the $$ start coming in because of the amount of time involved.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Reading your original post I have the impression you have not seen it in person. If correct, you may not be seeing everything. When I was looking for my first MH I was looking at all brands generally 1995 to early 2000's. I found many serious delaminations, some were just slight indications that if pushed on moved seriously. I kissed a lot of Toads before I found a winner. Be very careful, good luck.